Little Bunny - Italian Front Thunderbolt

John1

So I guess I'm ready to start another build.   That last year long build of Tamiya's amazing 1/32nd Mosquito FB.VI wore me out.   After a long term build, I typically lose my modeling mojo for a few months.  This time it was longer.  Once I get it back, I then need to find something that inspires me to start another project.   I purchased the Tamiya Spitfire IX and a boatload of aftermarket gear but for some reason, I couldn't find a subject that leapt out at me.   I'll build this kit, it's too nice to leave on a shelf, but it will have to wait a bit. 

My problem is that I like to build somewhat unique subjects (you won't see me building Duke Cunningham's F-4, Galland's -109E or any other "trendy" aircraft).   My list of builds includes an AH-6C Littlebird, a very late Vietnam war US Army Huey, a US-2B Tracker that crashed near where I live back in the 70's, a Korean War F-51D, and a somewhat uniquely finished Coastal Command Mosquito.   Aside from the Littlebird and Tracker, which were both true labors of love, the F-51D was the other kit that I really dove into.  From the "Forgotten War", the F-51D was no longer a pristine thoroughbred.  It was just a neglected, expendable, beaten-up bomb truck.  My kind of aircraft! 

As such, I started to be drawn to late war Thunderbolts flown by the USAAF in Italy.   Like Korea, the Italian Front was also somewhat of a "Forgotten War" (except by those who fought and died there).   The US public's attention quickly focused on the war in France and Germany, post-Normandy.  The troops in Italy kept fighting against very fierce resistance up until the end of the war, often in absolutely horrible weather conditions.   By 1945, P-47's were flying mostly air to ground missions, where the always deadly German light Flak took a heavy toll of them. 

So, the next step was to find a suitably unique subject.   Lots of decals out there for MTO Jugs.   While perusing online, I saw this sheet:

See the source image

The bottom one jumped out at me.   Has some interesting color to it, plus the two tone paint scheme was usual, which is also a plus.   The EagleCal instructions state that it's painted OD and camouflaged with British Dark Green.   Some questions posted here and over on Brit Modeler lead me to believe that "Little Bunny" was actual just a very weathered Jug that was touched up in multiple places with various shades of fresh OD paint.   Here are a few pictures of the real thing, judge for yourself:

tOEjcKw.jpg

dazHQZ3.jpg

tShsMUa.jpg

ha4kkMd.jpg

024xm5k.jpg

You guys can judge for yourself but I'm going with fresh OD over old OD!   Speaking of OD, one could probably write an entire book on this paint and how it rapidly weathers.   Coincidentally, someone has.   LSP's own Dana Bell and I highly recommend it:   

Image result for dana bell Aircraft Pictorial

I'll dive into OD paint later but here is a picture that gives you an idea of how badly this paint weathered and what fresh OD touchups look like.

Am5raYY.jpg

This is "somewhat" what Little Bunny will end up looking like.   

That's it for now, I'll be along at some point with the start of the actual build.   Thanks for looking and for those folks in the US - Please remember that this Monday (Memorial Day) is more than just a reason to have cookouts and drink some cold ones.   

John

Thanks for the info Antonio, you are a gold mine of good details!   

So here is the obligatory starting shot:

T59m9mO.jpg

One thing that was missing when I took this picture is the MDC cockpit set.   This set is amazing, some of the best resin I've seen, plus copious amounts of PE.    Here are some general pics I grabbed from Google:

mdccv32040reviewbg_1.jpg&ehk=VDIjlOHmTHA

FPKwc2eOo=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

In my very humble opinion, this set is mandatory for anyone building the Hase P-47D.   Very reasonably priced as well.  

That's it for now, I'll be back later with a small progress report.

I've been plugging along with the MDC cockpit but first off, some notes on the real deal.

World War II Gallery Cockpits (nmusafvirtualtour.com)

The above link should get you into a virtual P-47 cockpit.  It's missing a few bits and the Interior Green color is not applicable to any P-47D but I don't believe it's restored and is a great resource for zooming in to see the fine details of the Thunderbolt's "office" as well as the somewhat ratty appearance of the various fittings and instruments.     

Regarding interior color, plenty of threads on that subject, as I found out when I started this job.   Suffice to say, Republic Jugs had their cockpits painted in a somewhat unique shade called Dark Dull Green.   I went with Colorcoats version.   They put a great deal of research into their paint and it sprays wonderfully.   Here is a nice picture (courtesy of DB Andrus) that shows the color nicely.

4GPb0B.jpg

So that's it for background info.   The MDC cockpit set is awesomely detailed but I can still add some extras.    On the starboard sidewall, I added a cockpit light and some additional wiring.   I also added some warning labels and placards.   To me, these really add some nice realism to a cockpit, especially a large scale one.   I got spoiled by having access to Barracuda's excellent cockpit decal sets for my last three builds (F4U-1D, F-51D and Mosquito).   This time around there is nothing specific to the P-47 out there, so I've been going the generic route.   Still a work in progress.   I also plan on heavily weathering the cockpit.   Italy was known for either being hot and dusty or cold and muddy.   These aircraft flew multiple missions each day (certainly a higher tempo than 8th AF aircraft based in the UK) and I highly doubt the ground crews had much time to clean the interior between flights.   I've been using a combo of "hairspray technique" for the floorboards, chipping using a silver artist's pencil and a few shades of Flory Washes.   

That's enough typing, here are the two bits of the cockpit that I've got (somewhat) complete so far:

w2G3ZUz.jpg

WAz5BFG.jpg

All that text for two little pictures!    Still a work in progress but thanks for looking. 

23 hours ago, adameliclem said:

Beautiful start on that cockpit, John. Did you sand through paint layers to scuff the floor? Super-realistic, especially the dull tone of the exposed aluminum. 

Adam

Thanks for the good words guys.  Adam, for the floor, I used the hairspray technique.   I find it usually provides much better results than trying to apply silver paint on top of the IG floor.   My only regret is that I should have added a layer of green primer over the flat aluminum floor, it would have yielded a pretty nice effect.    My bad....   As far as the dull tone of the aluminum, using the Flory Washes (Dark Dirt and Dark Grime) really helped tone things down.   If you haven't used them, they are highly recommended. 

So I'm still plugging away with the cockpit interior.   It's a labor of love detailing those awesome MDC parts.    Here is the cockpit floor again, I did some touchups, added the stick and a small PE bit, also touched up some hydraulic and electrical lines.   The heater duct was painted GZC, still have to add the outlet, just trying to figure out how it gets installed. 

bZiwMP1.jpg

dBIz61i.jpg

Port sidewall.   Added aftermarket placards, still need to add some small PE bits and wiring.    

YWmtcwn.jpg

Last step will be to tweak the Flory wash and once assembled, add a bit of pastel to replicate the Italian dust that ended up everywhere. 

Quick update - cockpit floor is done.  Added the heater outlet and a small PE lever.    Continued adding decals, PE and resin to the port sidewall.   Also added a loose electrical cable.   Looking forward to seeing the cockpit fully assembled in the near future. 

6CgqcWO.jpg

LjfF1nk.jpg?1

I'm going to dial back the silver scratches a bit before I call this side done. 

Lastly, I've started working on the IP.   MDC provides two panels, an early and a late version.   They also thoughtfully provide a sheet of minuscule instrument decals.   I think it's going to look pretty decent once completed. 

tQNqKpB.jpg?1

All of these assemblies look somewhat rough due to the closeups and my crappy photography.   In RL that look somewhat better.  You'll just have to trust me on this one! 

Question for any experts who might be around - for a D-30, would it have the lower control panel that goes between the rudder pedals?   Speaking of, would a D-30 have the solid pedals or the later style with the cut-outs?

TIA!