RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

18 hours ago, DonH said:

Never!! And perish that thought.

Until we see a new IM Brit toom (not holding my breath), you are the only game in town. On top of all that, your skill is a joy to behold.

Aww thanks Don, I honestly thought people would get sick of seeing it with not a lot to update!

4 hours ago, AlbertD said:

I need a Wild Hare fix. Any updates? I know a lot of what you are doing now is very labor intensive without much to see. Of course you probably have a life beyond modeling too. I tend to forget that sometimes being retired and able to work on my kits any time I want.

LOL, Thanks Albert!

I have not had quite the time as usual as I am working on my Auster as well.  

Oh and working full time, wife and 17 year old son and house chores rob me of much spare/precious time!

3 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Some super clean work going on here Anthony.  I can't agree more than what DonH mentioned above.

Troy 

Thanks Troy, really appreciate that buddy!

Alright...I do an update!

Alright, so a warning here.  If you dont like rivets....then best go to the next WIP LOL

Although in saying that, I dont plan on running a wash through them all except around the rear fuse.  I feel it gives a bit of texture to the big bulky fuselage and adds another dimension to the finish.  Possibly not entirely accurate, but I think with black basing I can make a bit of a bash at having a slightly weathered bird but not on the scrapheap?? I guess we shall see.

I wasn't going to update, but this is what I was up to last night

QYaTuY.jpg

Still have a fair amount to do around here, I have spent a lot of time looking at photos and structural drawings to see where the structure is under the skin.  Drawing a bit of a blank under the splitter if anyone has a photo?  I am not going to add rivets to the removable panels either as I think the fastener detail will be enough. Besides they seem to get removed and repainted quite often, which obscures rivet detail anyway.  

An area some of you might be able to help with as well are these 2 panel lines on the spine (see red arrows).  I have a niggling feeling there is only supposed to be just one of them (but which one?).  Oddly enough for an obvious part of the airframe I cant seem to confirm... any help here would be appreciated.

nmOCHs.jpg

Thanks for your interest guys, really helps me a lot.  This bit is very labor intensive with little to show

Cheers Anthony

2 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

That looks amazing, Anthony!

Kev

Thanks Kev!  Really appreciate that my friend....

The more I look at drawings and compare from what I can see from photo's, the forward panel line should go (one row of fasteners remain).  I think it is a hang-over from the Air Force versions

Edited by Anthony in NZ

4 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Perfect!!  Thank you sir

Shows also the rivets (not fasteners) are not discernable, either...no wash for them!

I was thinking along the same lines for my build but visible rivets does add interest if not totally accurate. I was thinking of going with a greyish wash that is just a bit darker than the base color for mine. Just enough to make them show without them standing out too much. Jari posted a link to a bunch of great pictures in my build. I will use those for my painting/weathering references. Yours will probably be cleaner. Mine will depict a plane that might fly a couple of missions a day without much maintenance. 

10 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

I think there's an awful lot to show, and it'll pay dividends when complete, keep up the great work Anthony. 

Thanks Andy, I'm pressing on!

21 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

I was thinking along the same lines for my build but visible rivets does add interest if not totally accurate. I was thinking of going with a greyish wash that is just a bit darker than the base color for mine. Just enough to make them show without them standing out too much. Jari posted a link to a bunch of great pictures in my build. I will use those for my painting/weathering references. Yours will probably be cleaner. Mine will depict a plane that might fly a couple of missions a day without much maintenance. 

Yes I saw Jari's photo's, I check in on your build every day!  

I am going for a worn operational look, but not looking like a patchwork quilt.  I got some nice results with black basing when I built a 48th Mosquito for a museum last year... see below during spraying

WXlkU5.jpg

We'll see, I generally make it up as I go LOL

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Riveting stuff....

82ecyp.jpg

And with a layer of Mr Surfacer 1200

jWrh9b.jpg

Generally pretty happy with the time spent on the surface details, I spent a LOT of time trying to get the surface as perfect as I could, I reckon should come up nice with careful painting and washes...

As you can see I have filled some panel lines and fasteners on the spine and have been rounding the cross section a wee bit as well (apparently it's a bit too flat on the top, which I agree actually).  I am not bringing the surface detail any further forward on the intake section as I want to get the resin intakes in and blend them and sort the shape out.

Considering I have only 2 Jets in my collection (other is an A-4K) I am really enjoying this!

Thanks for looking in gents

Your attention to detail and patience is much to be admired Anthony! I reckon this will be the definitive Spey-Phantom when you’re finished but till then please keep posting these wonderful progress pics, they are real “eye candy”! :D

11 hours ago, mozart said:

Your attention to detail and patience is much to be admired Anthony! I reckon this will be the definitive Spey-Phantom when you’re finished but till then please keep posting these wonderful progress pics, they are real “eye candy”! :D

Thanks Max!  Wellll, I dont know about that, but it's a lot of fun.  Loving your Lightning by the way!

11 hours ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Those rivets look beautiful! :clap2:

Thanks, I think I still have them deep enough to still show through a few more layers of paint....

I think I have a nice even blend between the WH and Tamiya fuse and no one will ever know I cut the nose off...

kW32hE.jpg

Surface details are settling down nicely now

69dj8D.jpg

As I say...I am kinda making it up as I go!

Cheers Anthony

Just now, Marcel111 said:

The surface detail you are adding is really amazing! Wow!

Marcel

Thanks Marcel!

I just have to sort out the rivet pattern behind the splitter plate (need to find a pic of a derelict cockpit section) so I can finish that side off, then swing around to the stbd cockpit side...