RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

On 7/25/2021 at 10:23 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

LOL, thanks mate.  Hey was it a 32nd Mossie you brought?

My wife got it for me for Christmas. It's with a friend in New Plymouth for paint (NZ2336 in service) as he knows how to use an airbrush. The other one is the Nichimo 1/20 Hughes 500C which I'm doing as an Alpine Helicopters venison machine. I felt each deserved my undivided attention but after a while it got hard. And that's just working OOB - I really admire what you're doing with this and the other projects!

Anthony,

Just an amazing build to date and all your work is worth every minute of effort! This ‘ill be the Phantom build to set a new benchmark for all others my friend.

Oh, regarding burnout, do you remember a Spitfire build I did a few years ago? I experienced exactly that same thing while doing up the Merlin. In the end though, it was worth the effort (to me anyways) and it’s still one of my favourite model builds. 

Keep at ‘er Ant!

Cheers,

Wolf

On 6/24/2021 at 7:04 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

Hey buddy, nice having another Kiwi watching this!  Thanks for looking in.  Where about in NZ are you?

Hi Anthony

I am in Auckland. Hopefully I will see this at the IPMS nationals? It's looking absolutely superb!

Have you done anymore work on your A-4K?

On 7/26/2021 at 12:14 AM, jenshb said:

The RR Conway has the same style - look at the intakes for the VC10.  Yes, seems to be a RR "thing"...

aaaah interesting, I went and had a look...must be

On 7/26/2021 at 3:34 AM, easixpedro said:

Holy smokes, it all looks so good! That compressor face…! Too bad it’ll be buried, it’s a work of art!

I know seems a shame to bury it!  I will make sure I have a flashlight when people come to visit so i can show them down the trunking LOL

On 7/26/2021 at 8:10 PM, Derek B said:

Wow on two accounts Anthony; first, the mountain you have had to climb to find your mojo again after that soul-sapping riveting session (and yes, it will be worth it), and secondly, that Spey compressor intake section, it's totally awesome! (huge kudos to Kerry here).

Whoever is lucky enough to obtain 3D printed copies copies of Kerry's compressor and exhaust sections will be extremely fortunate as it will make conversion of the Tamiya F-4J into a Spey powered British Phantom that much easier. However, your conversion is exemplary Anthony and probably provides more inspiration to other modellers than you would ever appreciate - keep up the good work on this incredible build.

Derek 

Thanks Derek, Kerry really did an amazing job on the compressor face indeed.  Agreed, with the engine front and rear sections and vari ramps (still being tweaked) this should really help others out...we hope so anyway!

Thanks for your humbling feedback....but remember it couldnt have been done without the help of yourself and some others.  I am indebted to you all who are helping! THANK YOU!

22 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Those 3D printed bits look awesome!  Even though they'll be tough to see at the back of the intakes, we'll all know that they're there, and that they're correct.

Matt 

Matt, sometimes it's just knowing stuff is in there and correct that makes us feel better even if no one really sees it! Thanks buddy

18 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

My wife got it for me for Christmas. It's with a friend in New Plymouth for paint (NZ2336 in service) as he knows how to use an airbrush. The other one is the Nichimo 1/20 Hughes 500C which I'm doing as an Alpine Helicopters venison machine. I felt each deserved my undivided attention but after a while it got hard. And that's just working OOB - I really admire what you're doing with this and the other projects!

Aaah I thought so.  Keep us posted on your builds, they really sound like the kind of projects that interest me a lot!

16 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Anthony,

Just an amazing build to date and all your work is worth every minute of effort! This ‘ill be the Phantom build to set a new benchmark for all others my friend.

Oh, regarding burnout, do you remember a Spitfire build I did a few years ago? I experienced exactly that same thing while doing up the Merlin. In the end though, it was worth the effort (to me anyways) and it’s still one of my favourite model builds. 

Keep at ‘er Ant!

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks mate!  I do remember that gorgeous Spit, one of my fav's of yours!  Totally awesome and a benchmark for when I do one. Thanks again for your amazing feedback...I dont really know what to say except thank you for cheering me along, means a lot!

15 hours ago, Fritz said:

Hi Anthony

I am in Auckland. Hopefully I will see this at the IPMS nationals? It's looking absolutely superb!

Have you done anymore work on your A-4K?

Hopefully I get her finished in time and we can meet!  Still waiting on Roy to put the Kahu upgrade into production so I can continue...hence working on this.  Keen to get back though.

4 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Looking good Anthony.  Just popping in to take a look.  Keep up the amazing efforts.  

Troy 

Thanks for popping in buddy, always glad to see you around my friend!

Finally I was a little overwhelmed at everyones responses....I hope I can do you all proud!  Your help and support means so much to me

OK, back to the surface details...

Cheers Anthony

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 3:47 AM, Marcel111 said:

Beautiful Spey front… sucking me even deeper into this WIP thread…

Marcel

Sucking me in, LOL I like it!

Well I will try not too ramble on too much and TRY and just let the photos speak for themselves.

A big box of 3D printed parts arrived from Kerry a couple of days ago.  Needless to say I have been in heaven...

Engine fronts have been printed in 3 sections, I have started prepping them for paint,Oops forgot to photograph the rearmost section

UDCCYB.jpg

Vari-ramps have been a mission! Several tweaks and reprints have resulted in a final product we are both happy with.  Still needs a little sanding and fine tuning, but pretty much there.  They are very different to the US ones

CStOoz.jpg

J81S06.jpg

uY7YaY.jpg

Bottom

x7M2A3.jpg

Front

pidFuP.jpg

IIyzCt.jpg

In my happy place...

sLNnVW.jpg

Dont worry I wont let that Hasegawa 1/32  P-40 M/N//K (havent decided yet) distract me!

Thanks for checking in guys, now back to it eh?

Cheers Anthony

This is looking so amazing Anthony! Everything is coming together beautifully. I am in awe of the progress made and the talent on display. To come this far since only July! Wow...

You have said that you're not looking forward to doing the cockpit but I am! I know it will be done to the same high standard and will look terrific. 

For me, there is always a great sense of accomplishment when the cockpit is finished that drives the build forward. Plus it's one of my favorite parts of a model to take in on larger scales.

At this point, do you have all of the reference you need for modifying the cockpit to the FG.1 layout ?

8 hours ago, GDW said:

This is looking so amazing Anthony! Everything is coming together beautifully. I am in awe of the progress made and the talent on display. To come this far since only July! Wow...

You have said that you're not looking forward to doing the cockpit but I am! I know it will be done to the same high standard and will look terrific. 

For me, there is always a great sense of accomplishment when the cockpit is finished that drives the build forward. Plus it's one of my favorite parts of a model to take in on larger scales.

At this point, do you have all of the reference you need for modifying the cockpit to the FG.1 layout ?

Hey mate, thanks so much for the encouragement!  I know I will be tough on myself with the cockpit because thats the first thing everyone looks at.  To most it will be just another grey Phantom.  But I have come this far with everyones help that I really must do the best I can in there.  Starting to find the differences, but I keep getting sidetracked with printed parts and studying the internals of the Aux air doors on the sides.

7 hours ago, easixpedro said:

OMG, this thing is amazeballs! Seriously good work…your work is very crisp. More please!

-Peter

Thanks mate!  I am hoping for another big day on the printed parts.  Whilst they save a lot of work, there is still a lot of prep work in separating them from their bases, scraping, sanding and fine tuning everything to fit (not that I am complaining! Dont get me wrong), and then back to gazing through my magnifier to perfect all the surface details best I can.

3 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Awesome 3D printed bits! Every time I see people using them, I'm more convinced that it's the future.

Matt 

Matt, I think you are indeed right, this technology opens up a whole new world to the hobby

Thanks for your comments and likes, means a lot.  Just sorry it wasnt more advanced by now.  This beast is a time-sapper!

Cheers guys

Anthony

On 8/9/2021 at 9:21 PM, Starfighter said:

That is an absolute thing of beauty, Anthony! 

Thanks Ben!  Your 'Twosair' is looking awesome as well!

Another piece of the puzzle from my best mate Kerry, these are the different shaped vents on the rear fuselage above the reheat cans as found on Brit Tooms.

Pk6X5X.jpg

mpgjO0.jpg

Not much to show on the actual kit whilst I tweak and refine the fuselage surface. This WH conversion is causing me more work than I thought.  On my one the resin is very brittle and adding surface details is difficult as the edges crumble and I have to keep fixing.  Even using my finest razor saw dosent help a lot more.  I am finding a good layer of Mr Surfacer and scribing through that gives a much nicer result.  I didnt expect this to be held up on this part for so long.  Thankfully once the fuselage surface is finished the rest will be Tamiya plastic....phew!

I will post when I have more to show, but I thought you might like to see these

Cheers Anthony