AH-1Z Viper, Academy 1/35

Here's a quick look at the first and probably only model I have finished in 2020, Academy's excellent 1/35th scale AH-1Z Viper. Probably the best kit I have ever built - excellent surface detail (raised rivets!!), perfect fit. The cockpit is a bit of a letdown detail wise, but nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of effort. Clear parts are a bit of a disappointment as well.

The model was published in issue 6/2020 of German magazine ModellFan, so I can just post a minimum of photos at the moment. I am working on a little diorama which I'll show you once it's finished. 

Just a quick summary of the materials used: 

Blade fold & blade fold rack by Legend Productions, some PE from Eduard's AH-1W set, Master Model gun, Flying Leathernecks decals, Werner's Wings stencils. MSR/SAIP pod, ground handling wheels, Sidewinder seeker head cover and FMV pods on the tail boom designed & printed by myself. 

viper_copyrightedxxk8b.jpg

img_0621awlk6d.jpg

img_0643b2wjgl.jpg

If you have comments, critique or questions, please do not hesitate! 

Edited by Starfighter

Cheers mate! I have used the AH-1W PE parts for the pedals and seat belts as nothing else was available when I started the model. No idea about the dedicated AH-1Z sets to be honest, but the Eduard cockpit masks are totally useless as perfect masks are included in the kit... Correct seat belts are included in one of the AH-4Z crew sets from Legend as well if I remember correctly. 

Hi Ben,

Very nice kit!!! I like the way you reproduced the weathering effects.

Are you going to release the parts on your Shapeways account? I would also be interested in 1/35 four branches pad eyes as used on the LHA ships if you intend to produce them.

BTW the Eduard set has some interesting parts for the cockpit (mainly the floor parts) but most of the set parts are far from being absolutely required. The belts are not included in the set but they are part of the DEF seated pilots set.

Cheers

Thierry

Hi Thierry, thanks for your kind comment! :) If you need the FMV parts and MSR/SAiP pod, just drop me a message and I will print a set for you. The ground handling wheels are not for sale at the moment as I would have to slightly revise the files first to make sure they fit without any modification. It's only the axle height of the rear wheels but it has to be done... 

I can upload the "+" type padeyes, no problem. I have printed them myself for my diorama and did not think about uploading them; the problem is that there is no drill to make correctly sized holes - I think the padeyes have a diameter of 6,4mm in 1/35th scale and I doubt there is a 6,4mm drill available... it was no problem in my case as my carrier deck was CNC machined. 

2 minutes ago, Starfighter said:

No seat belts in the Eduard set btw? That's pretty ridiculous. Can't understand why Academy included them in the first place - they could just have added it to the PE fret included in the kit.

It’s Eduard’s latest money grab - it seems all their aircraft sets in recent years have belts as an entirely separate item to get you to spend extra