RCAf lost a Snowbird today.

What out of curiosity, is the difference (besides the obvious size/weight)  between maintaining the Tutor "indefinitely" an say The Spirit of Great Britain being retired?  Was that due ONLY to the maintaining company pulling out?

I know the BUFFs are supposed to be flying to 2050 or what have you, but really seems like there would be a limit to how many years/decades an airframe/shell of the aircraft could be used before it just starts falling apart. I know maintainers can replace lots of stuff, but there seems like there would be a limit. 

I think the difference is that the Vulcan was privately owned, and the Snowbirds are a regular force RCAF squadron, and the Forces' demonstration team no less. There are many spare airframes and a large parts inventory to keep them going, and you can be sure that they are highly maintained by the best. To speculate on what caused the accident would be just that, speculation and irresponsible. 

In the meantime, here is a photo of Capt. Jenn Casey. I met her in connection with a Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum event. She was highly qualified and an excellent PAO, and loved her job. THis is an enormous loss to the team, the RCAF and the Forces...as well as the province of Nova Scotia which has suffered a lot of pain recently. 

Condolences to her family, friends and colleagues:

0hYMD39h.jpg

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka