1/32 Lockheed U-2A?

Hi gents, 

It looks this was probably not the case but was the ID kit ever re-released? This is one of the rare vacs in which I have interest in but I have never seen one available anywhere. 

Another idea is a conversion of one of my old F-104 kits but even if there is a lineage link between both planes, I never assessed if that was a realistic idea....?

http://www.modelalice.com/product/172-148-133-124-118-116-112-18-16-us-usa-lockheed-u2-u-2-senior-span-high-altitude-reconnaissance-electronic-warfare-vintage-biplane-jet-fighter-helicopter-bomber-military-transport-aircraft/

$29 for the 1/33 card U-2R.  (I'm waiting for the 1/48 Hobby Boss plastic kit but would love it in 1/32.) 

It's the bigger version which is still flying today as the reengined U-2S, but could provide a template to make one from plastic card.

Tony

Edited by Tony T
link activation

4 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Another idea is a conversion of one of my old F-104 kits but even if there is a lineage link between both planes, I never assessed if that was a realistic idea....?

A friend and I were discussing this just last week. He feels it's very doable. The hardest part in his opinion would be narrowing down the rear fuselage. 

When I consider  that he's building a 1/32 CF-105 from scratch,  I don't doubt him but it's probably outside my skillset.

2 hours ago, Tony T said:

http://www.modelalice.com/product/172-148-133-124-118-116-112-18-16-us-usa-lockheed-u2-u-2-senior-span-high-altitude-reconnaissance-electronic-warfare-vintage-biplane-jet-fighter-helicopter-bomber-military-transport-aircraft/

$29 for the 1/33 card U-2R.  (I'm waiting for the 1/48 Hobby Boss plastic kit but would love it in 1/32.) 

It's the bigger version which is still flying today as the reengined U-2S, but could provide a template to make one from plastic card.

Tony

I considered that option Tony but the wingspan of the later versions is close to 1 meter in 1/32 scale! This is why I would prefer the Alpha. Moreover, markings were far more attractive! 

30 minutes ago, BloorwestSiR said:

A friend and I were discussing this just last week. He feels it's very doable. The hardest part in his opinion would be narrowing down the rear fuselage. 

When I consider  that he's building a 1/32 CF-105 from scratch,  I don't doubt him but it's probably outside my skillset.

Indeed, everything is possible as far as time and patience are available! 

31 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

When I mused that a 1/32 U-2A/C/D/F/G kit would be a great idea, it got shot down by lots of people here.  "Too big" (from the same group who muse about 1/32 B-52s...).  

Well, she is not as sexy as a fighter but the U-2 is an history icon and possibly the most famous plane of the cold war with... the B-52! It is quite funny to think both of them are still flying (the C-130 as well by the way!) and gave their name to two well-known pop music bands! 

Hi Thierry,

Lee White is building the a 1/32 ID vacform U-2 kit in the LSP Cold War WIP section.

I want to make one as well, so I am looking for a cheap 1/32 F-104 kit (probably Revell, if I can find one) to use as a basis for a conversion/scratchbuild U-2 project.

Derek

Post Edit: Sorry, I missed that this was already mentioned in an earlier post.

Edited by Derek B

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

When I mused that a 1/32 U-2A/C/D/F/G kit would be a great idea, it got shot down by lots of people here.  "Too big" (from the same group who muse about 1/32 B-52s...).  

But your parachute worked perfectly and your landing was gracious 

23 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Wouldn't mind a white U-2CT trainer, but otherwise I'd go for the bigger U-2R in anthracite with a Sigint farm and red feline sketch on the tail.

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
Just had to. Couldn't resist it.