SH Tempest Mk V "Kicked Up A Notch". January 14/21 New eBook!

chuck540z3

22 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Exhaust stains look about perfect Chuck. I also really like the exhaust manifolds. They have a very convincing texture and color. Was the chipping on the prop and spinner done with hairspray?

Thanks Albert.  Prop was done with just the liquid mask and sponge routine.  Here are the exhausts again close-up, which I need to enhance a bit more from a little bit of distance.  While the front exhaust stack should have no residue from upstream exhausts, the remaining 5 should for obvious reasons.  Again, I used salt weathering to create a random mask pattern.

wul0eu.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

• chuck540z3 changed the title to SH Tempest Mk V "Kicked Up A Notch". November 21: Landing Gear
19 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

Do you remember the color name of the fabric by chance?

EDIT: Chuck, won't hijack your build thread any longer. SORRY!!!

Tim

I bought it over a year ago, but I am not sure I ever knew the name.  I just picked something out that "looked" right.  Sorry!

Each of your builds out does the previous... What an outstanding build narrative this round. 

I think you have single handily increased sales on all the tools, glues, films, paints, etc. that you show.  I know I have increased my warehouse of tools after following your builds.  These companies should provide you a commission :rolleyes:

Thank you for always taking time to explain steps (sometimes several times), taking pictures, and keeping all of us involved.

I stand by my original thought several builds back.  We need the Model Tips by Chuck book....

Blessings to you and your family.

Loyal follower - Rod

November 24/20

I’m DONE!!  After fighting with all the landing gear doors, hinges and other little bits over the last few days, this Tempest is finally finished.  There are lots of challenges to attaching these parts and I was going to document a few of them, but in the end, I decided I’ve had enough of this model and I just want it over with, so I focused on completion instead.

I started this project on April 28th, so 7 months later, I can slip this in my display cabinet and start another model, which after 2 prop builds in a row, will be an Italeri CF-104 Starfighter in mostly a bare metal finish.  Time to turn and burn back to my jet building roots!

One closing thought is that I gave up on adding fuel tanks, which Tempests usually have, for 2 reasons.  The first is that the tank pylons are made from clear plastic parts that are not well molded, they are hard to glue together without making a mess and the metallic braces are nothing but decals like the pic below.  I think this is a clear case of “less is more”, because they will detract from the overall build, rather than enhance it.

D9YrG9.jpg

The second reason is that I have been trying to more or less replicate this pic I have shown many times, with Pierre Clostermann standing on the wing.  It doesn’t look like this Tempest has drop tanks, so I’m off the hook for accuracy!

szLF12.jpg

And here is a black and white pic of my model similar to the above, followed by a few more that I will post over at the Ready for Inspection Forum.  “See” you over there, and thank you all for your kind comments and encouragement along the way.

Finished Model Pics

92vDGn.jpg

mzDoQj.jpg

342jzd.jpg

CofrZE.jpg

E2j4cj.jpg

1uOTKK.jpg

8vV72U.jpg

pHgcmD.jpg

HB84Pa.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

• chuck540z3 changed the title to SH Tempest Mk V "Kicked Up A Notch". November 24: Finished!