1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless in New Zealand markings w/ full Archer rivet replacement - DONE

Brett M

On 10/13/2020 at 2:32 PM, Alex said:

Amazing!  Really interested to see how that looks with a coat of paint on it.

Thanks Alex (and everyone else!).

So, speaking of paint.....this is just black Mr Surface 1500, but gives you an idea of whats to come.

PSX_20201014_174324

PSX_20201014_174258

• 3 weeks later...

Life has been getting in the way lately with models, but still getting some work in here and there. 

Gunsight is together and installed. I used some Tamiya clear green to rim the edge and (hopefully) make it look like glass. The forward glass was the same till I glued it in...bam, dark edge. Oh well. The compass at the top of the windscreen has an added decal from the spares since Trumpeter gives you nothing. 

Question for any that may know, the armored glass, I’m having a hard time finding pictures of this even installed. Seems like the mounting points might be there in some images, but no glass..... Anyone know for sure? I’d rather leave it out if possible :ph34r:

Sorry for the bad pictures, used the phone this time around.....

PSX_20201104_172045

PSX_20201105_155604

PSX_20201105_155543

The Smithsonian IN THE COCKPIT II on page 66 shows it installed. However, their example is a -6 so not sure for a -5.

The photo is straight on from the pilot's seat so you can't see exactly how it's mounted.

Edited by Archer Fine Transfers
Added information

On 11/10/2020 at 6:46 AM, Archer Fine Transfers said:

The Smithsonian IN THE COCKPIT II on page 66 shows it installed. However, their example is a -6 so not sure for a -5.

The photo is straight on from the pilot's seat so you can't see exactly how it's mounted.

Thanks Woody....I went ahead without the glass and can’t look back now. Canopy should be buttoned up tomorrow!

On 11/10/2020 at 5:00 PM, AlbertD said:

Looks great Brett. The riveting with the primer looks amazing. The green edged glass is really cool too.

Thanks Albert!

Edited by Brett M
Grammar

Finally a real update and some good progress made. I buttoned up the interior yesterday and have glued the rear canopies in place. I'm only leaving the pilots canopy removable, as the rear canopies provide enough size to really view the interior pretty well. That and the guns looks like junk, hardly any detail on them. I also found that parts of the mount are painted white, after I was done....so yeah. You can't see much anyway with the turret installed. One thing to mention, with the machine guns in the stowed position, the ammo belts don't line up with the ammo box, at all. I was going to modify them, but while test fitting I dropped one into the cockpit and it subsequently disappeared. I have no clue where it is (under the floor, somehow?) but I can't find it or get it out. I did add a few Airscale placards to the radio boxes in the back, to try and spice things up a bit. 

So here it is, almost ready for Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 in black. 

_DSC9046

_DSC9047

_DSC9048

_DSC9051

_DSC9050

Canopies in place, pilot canopy just sitting in it's spot. I'll hold it in place with blue tac once the other canopies are solid in their spots. Eduard masks in place, much prefer these over the vinyl that came with my Montex mask set. 

_DSC9053

Rubber band helping seat that canopy, as it wanted to pop up.

_DSC9052

Now to go clean my paint booth out of all dust! 

• Brett M changed the title to 1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless in New Zealand markings w/ full Archer rivet replacement - Primer applied