Ki-45 Kai Hei Toryu: 2nd Squadron, 4th Sentai

Uncarina

I finished the Zoukei Mura Ki-45 Kai Hei Toryu, depicting the aircraft flown by 2nd Lt. Sadamitsu Kimura of the 2nd Squadron, 4th Sentai Flight Regiment.

This is my fifth completed ZM build, and I realized that these kits are probably the most engaging, educational, and fun to build that I've ever experienced. To be sure, I had some build challenges, but the way the kits are engineered, along with the extraordinary instructions, has resulted in very little stress and a lot of pleasure. Of these builds, I'd rank this up there with the Do-335 and the Ta-152H-0 in this respect.

For this build, Brian Leitch (Out2gtcha) very kindly created a mask for me using his Silhouette Portrait that enabled me to add the eight B-29's that adorned the portside nose of this aircraft:

WX5DC85.jpg

In fact, his creation inspired me to purchase my own Portrait, and I used this to add the Hinomarus and squadron marking. I painted with Tamiya acrylics and weathered with pastels and oils. The only aftermarket were the ZM weighted wheels and  Brengun photoetch crosshairs. I'm looking forward to the Hs.129 build!

Cheers,  Tom

lJRI856.jpg

4II0qJ7.jpg

GJoD2cD.jpg

xsIVSLj.jpg

xqJyxHO.jpg

Edited by Uncarina

Miloslav, Mike, Mark, Kagemusha,

Thanks very much for your kind responses! As I mentioned in the work in progress thread, this is the second ZM build in which at first I wasn’t really interested in the subject aircraft, but as they came together my interest and inspiration grew, due to the way ZM designed the kits and instructions. 

Cheers,  Tom