Ki-45 Toryu - Kai-Ko - 53rd Sentai, Matsudo AB, 1944 - DONE!

Out2gtcha

Thanks gents!  Im right in the middle of being ready to spray the rest of the internal parts for the fuselage, but between our Easter Jeep Safari trip looming this spring, and work, the model bench has taken a bit of a back seat. 

Ill definitely be picking the Nick back up shortly........

• 4 months later...

First off, to get back to this project, I took apart the finished engines (generally just the front crank case) as I was not happy with the OOB prop attachment after completing them.

After removing the crank cases, I inserted a cut piece of brass tubing into the props, and a corresponding smaller piece of brass tubing sticking out of the engines. MUCH more study and not so wobbly this way. Professional lego engine stands in place of the wooden ones I made from the kit that really dont fit with the engine bearers on:

20200620_225816-XL.jpg

20200620_225813-XL.jpg

Next up, I used a flat razor and scrapped all the OOB detail off of the IP. I then glued on the Yahu panel, and extra levers and such. Turned out pretty decently, especially after looking the OOB IP over:

20200620_230044-XL.jpg

20200620_230055-XL.jpg

Next I got the rear gunners position finished up, save for the starboard side cannon under the fuselage, but that will be added before putting the fuselage halves together:

20200620_225917-XL.jpg

20200620_225919-XL.jpg

20200620_225925-XL.jpg

20200620_225936-XL.jpg

20200620_225947-XL.jpg

20200620_225958-XL.jpg

Finally, I also had to relent on the fuselage sections....................A month or two ago, I applied some perfect plastic putty to all the ejector pin marks on the interior of the two grey fuselage sections. I KNEW I should have not used that stuff, as generally I have ZERO luck with it, and in this case with the small molded in ribbing of the internal fuselage parts, it really made a mess of things, and was coming off with much less effort than I had anticipated, and getting all that extra putty out was turning the fuselage interior into a full mess.

Soooooo I had to relent and broke out the clear fuselage sides, and will use what I should have used, some Mr Surfacer. 

I assembled the nose section for the two machine guns VS the cannon, and as you can see, the open panels applied left a couple tiny gaps to fill (which I already did) as well as my own flub up, of touching the side of the nose cone with some Tamiya extra thin on my hands, also filled with some MS 1500.

Attaching things and assessing the fit of things with the clear fuselage sides seems to indicate great fit here. I also applied the gray plastic light cover on the nose, as the specific plane Im doing looks to be an earlier version of the Ki-45 that had the nose light painted over:

20200606_214623-XL.jpg

20200606_214626-XL.jpg

20200606_214630-XL.jpg

The fit of the fuselage parts with the assembled interior is really excellent:

20200606_214638-XL.jpg

20200606_214644-XL.jpg

Got the wife and my wedding anniversary coming up in 8 days, so will be taking another break from the Ki-45 next Thursday, but in the mean time, Im working on smoothing out the interior ejector marks as best I can, even though most of them probably wont be seen or noticed.

All for now lads, Cheers!

Thanks gents!

Mark,

Surprisingly, there are actually about 3 different tones of the gray green there, but I've been only using my cell phone camera, so it doesn't pick up whites or shade differences well. It also changes the hue of yellows and greens unfortunately, as I found out on my Do-335.