Ki-45 Toryu - Kai-Ko - 53rd Sentai, Matsudo AB, 1944 - DONE!

Out2gtcha

Now THIS will be an interesting watch as I have got the long nose version of this beastie. 

I cannot believe the amount of plastic in the box, in fact with the addition of a couple of spare sprues you actually have two aircraft. 

Great work on the camo patterns, will be great to see how it translates to the actual model! 

3 minutes ago, Phartycr0c said:

Now THIS will be an interesting watch as I have got the long nose version of this beastie. 

I cannot believe the amount of plastic in the box, in fact with the addition of a couple of spare sprues you actually have two aircraft. 

Great work on the camo patterns, will be great to see how it translates to the actual model! 

Thanks!  I agree 100%, that there is a LOAD of plastic in this box. Its stuffed to the rafters!   Ive not had a lot of bench time lately, but that will be changing shortly, as I am going off of on-call today, and as of Friday, will have some time off until the 26th, at which point I will likely be working from home until after the 1st. This work at home time, means much more bench time!    

Im hoping to get back to the Toryu engines tonight. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the holidays have brought much less bench time than I thought, but I promise, I have actually been working on this beauty!  This kit so far from the very little Ive put together is going to be a joy, as well as extremely complex.

Ive only worked on teh engines, props, and engine stands up to this point, as I was awaiting parts. Thanks to our own Kagemusha, I can now start on the interior soon, as Andy has sent me all the required stuff to make the oblique cannon installation possible on my short nosed Kai-Ko.

Ill be taking some pics of my minimal progress so far, but I will be doing more tonight, so hopefully, pics soon. 

Although I didn't really take any progress pics along the way, I managed to get some pics this afternoon while at home during lunch. Andy was gracious enough to send me the parts I needed for the oblique guns, but they were not quite here yet (but they are now!) when I started the model, so I went right by the instructions and started off with the engines. 

In my case I started with the engines, engine stands, wheels, tires, props and spinners.  I started things off by constructing, painting and weathering the engines stands, as I knew the engines were getting started first, so I wanted a place to put them in the long time between steps of finishing the engines and when they actually get installed much later in the build. 

This is Tamiya desert yellow, with highly thinned enamel wash for the wood grain, then Tamiya clear orange over that, with Mig weathering products of Kerosene and stains, engine oil and general dirt wash:

20200106_123348-XL.jpg

20200106_123359-XL.jpg

20200106_123419-XL.jpg

20200106_123439-XL.jpg

Next up, I worked on the wheels and tires. I got the ZM resin wheels from Volks USA. However on opening the package, I found the mains nicely molded, but the tail-wheel was fairly badly misshapen and had more of an egg shape to it.

I tried to correct it with sanding, but thought better of myself, and just cut a flat spot on the OOB part.:

20200104_111508-XL.jpg

The resin mains are nicely ballooned as I picture the Ki-45s tires to be. The wheels are painted with MRP tire black, with a lighted strip of paint down the center, then some Tamiya black panel wash to highlight the tread. I also spritzed some MRP white aluminum on the inside and outside wheel covers, again with Tamiya black panel wash:

20200106_122234-XL.jpg

20200106_122238-XL.jpg

20200106_122254-XL.jpg

20200106_122339-XL.jpg

Next up are the props and spinners. I did not have an suitable MRP IJA brown to use that the props and spinners required, so I hunted around in my paint box and found some older (but still good) Polly Scale IJA brown, and thinned that with 90% alcohol along with about 10 drops of some retarder. 
The props turned out decent, as I wanted them worn on the back a bit, but not too worn on the front, or overall really. I left the prop weights off, as well as not bothering to paint the hub, as all of this will be completely covered by the spinners:

20200106_121756-XL.jpg

20200106_121815-XL.jpg

20200106_121802-XL.jpg

20200106_121828-XL.jpg

I used the same Polly Scale IJN brown on the spinners, then masked and shot some MRP insignia white on them. I weathered them as well with the darker Tamiya panel line highlighter:

20200106_121927-XL.jpg

20200106_121956-XL.jpg

MORE still.......................

Ive also gotten about 75% of the way through both engines. The only things I haven't done yet are the engine mounts, firewalls, carb/intake, chargers ect,ect. I completed the 4 cylinder banks which was as chore with the bases grey and the heat covers black. Painted with MRP white aluminum, and the base is Tamiya IJN grey, weathered again with black Tamiya panel highlighter:

20200106_122808-XL.jpg

20200106_122818-XL.jpg

20200106_122832-XL.jpg

Got the push rods painted gloss black with MRP anodized aluminum for some highlight color. Weathered again with Tamiya black highlighter:

20200106_122642-XL.jpg

20200106_122650-XL.jpg

20200106_122700-XL.jpg

Then I completed the engine rads, which was a heck-of-a masking trial:

20200106_122541-XL.jpg

20200106_122604-XL.jpg

20200106_122551-XL.jpg

Intake runners along with propeller hub:

20200106_122957-XL.jpg

20200106_123003-XL.jpg

20200106_123019-XL.jpg

Finally, we have the two exhaust collector rings These were two parts each to accommodate for the exhaust exits being a different bulbous shape. There were some molding dimples on each, which were filled and sanded. These are done with MRP black, graphite powder/AKI burnt jet engine pigment, as well as burnt red rust pigment, some pigment fixer and then some strategically placed spritzes of flat in certain areas to highlight the rusty parts. Then finally some Tamiya weathering pallet soot, and white snow, followed by another round of flat this time only on the exhaust portion.

Im fairly chuffed at the way these turned out. They actually look quite a bit better in person than in pics, but hey-ho, they will mostly be covered up anyway:

20200106_123210-XL.jpg

20200106_123218-XL.jpg

20200106_123247-XL.jpg

All for now gents. Ill probably be back on the Toryu tonight, as I feel Im on a roll with it a bit, and having knocked out some tedious engine stuff, I can start on some fun things like cockpit and fuselage stuff.

Cheers! 

Dude!  You are Rocking Solid!

Fuselage%20Camo%20Mask%20cutout%20SS-XL.

Designer Edition seems to be a ticket.  Why not Business?  I have Adobe Illustrator and Business supports Ai.  But I think Designer does not.  What does Designer support?  Also, what did you use as a base from which to import?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks  boys! 

13 minutes ago, dodgem37 said:

Dude!  You are Rocking Solid!

Fuselage%20Camo%20Mask%20cutout%20SS-XL.

Designer Edition seems to be a ticket.  Why not Business?  I have Adobe Illustrator and Business supports Ai.  But I think Designer does not.  What does Designer support?  Also, what did you use as a base from which to import?

Thanks Mark!

The Business edition was a bit more at thr time I was looking to upgrade awhile back, so I looked around and found a killer deal on the Designer edition, as it covered what I wanted in an upgrade for the Silhouette software, which was mainly the ability to import/export.svg files.

It also had the adjustable nesting feature I wanted to maximize the little bit of Oramask 810 I had at the time.

I generally tend to find things on the web I'm looking for and invariably, it's not Vector but .JPG or .BMP or the like, so just run the image through Photo Draw, then through the cutter software to trace things out.

I still have to finish the fuselage bits, as you can see, I have to fill in the ring root blobs, as well as lower fuselage under the cockpit.

So... the work begins!  Great to see you finally break ground on this new build, Brian!  Those engine racks... are they supplied in case you wanted to pose the engines separate from the aircraft?  I assume they are NOT going to be installed on the Toryu?  And very nifty painting on those... the close-up shots show the wood grain and staining details.

Brett, John, thanks for the kind words.

John,

Yes the engine stands are include with the kit as described "to exhibit your engine like a museum piece, or to hold your painted engine before inserting it into the plane".

Quite a nice little simple additon to the kit, as it will be quite some time before the instructions call to insert them into the airframe.