1/32 Hurricane need help.

98Wrangler

I would go with the Fly Models Hurricane Mk. I. The old Revell Mk. I kit, I understood, was forever altered when they switched to the Mk. IIC, creating a kit that is sort of partially Mk. I, partially Mk. II with external errors and poorly detailed interior and wheel well. The Fly kit is quite well detailed out of the box, if a little more time required for a build.

My review of the Fly Sea Hurricane, which is pretty much the Mk. IIC boxing with a few extra parts added for FAA use. The PCM Early Hurricane (also reviewed by me; the metal wing is nearly identical, except for the wings) is not a bad kit either, but I think the Fly kit might be a little better, unless you want a fabric covered bird, then the PCM kit is the only game in town. 

Fly make the better Hurricane Mk I in 1/32. The old Revell kit is not really a Mk I, especially around the cowling.

I would strongly recommend you check out a few builds of the Fly kit. These suggest it is a 'challenging' build, mainly around the cockpit from what I've seen.

PR

You'd play hell trying to find a Revell MkI and it's not worth the trouble

to replace the wings. The MkII has cannons and the accordant upper

and lower wing detail.

The PCM kit is OK , has the best wheels, the Rotol blades are excellent

but the Rotol spinner is waay off. It's been out of production for some

time and is not cheap.

The Fly kit has excellent surface detail and is more accurate

overall,  nice Rotol spinner (which to me is a must for BoB Hurris)

but has wheels that are horrific !!  I'd recomment the Fly kit but there

are review of all of them online so I'd check those out first.

Have fun ..

I built the fly kit and it turns into a lovely model when built, although it is far from "shake and bake". 

It is a mix of resin and injection moulding. 

The main issue in my book is the thickness of the wheel well casting which is one piece. when inslalled it has a tendency to push up into the cockpit space and fouls the other rudder pedal and control rod details. 

very careful sanding and lots of dry fitting is the order of the day. I had to sand this part until a bright light was just visible through the resin.

IIRC there are no locator pins for the fuselage so time needs to be spent in construction. 

Other than that its a great kit as long as you take your time. 

25541667368_d37d628424_k.jpg

25541557318_e97c9f4b3d_k.jpg

38533281765_24f44b23fe_k.jpg

My takeaway from this is that the overall least expensive, "looks like a Hurricane" display type kit is the original Revell kit with the original boxart D○TA. That is the original mold, warts and all. For a museum piece, prolly enough. Dress up the 'pit a wee bit, careful paint, and she will sit in a case. No one will notice the details we've discussed; they will look at it, and go to the next display, 30 seconds or so.

The Revell Hurricane Mk. I is ancient but builds up to be fairly accurate in outline and does look like a Hurricane, Revell in their wisdom modified it to look like  a Mk. II but they only changed the wings not the fuselage length. Below is the wing with Mk.II ish bumps but still with Mk.I panel lines.

yTA568.jpg

I took the kit in and out of the loft a few times before building it, but in the end enjoyed the build, I do have few PCM and FLY Hurricanes but have only built the Revell kit so cannot comment on them.

Cheers

Dennis