We have 32nd B-17, B-24 and Lancasters (plural!). What's next? B-29?

Brent

When seeing my stash, I´m always wondering when these multi-engine kits will ever be built.

Next challenge: where to place when built. I did a Mistel, B-25, He 111, Ju 88 and Bf 110 and placing/presenting (and even stowing) is a major problem.

Beside this - here´s my wishlist:

- Ju 52

- Do 17

- B-26

- He 177

- C-47

- FW 200

- SH-3

- CH-46E

- Ju 290

To me the C-47 is really the missing link. Used in nearly all conflicts of the second half of the 20th century, painted with schemes of all US services and many other countries, used for close to any role... It is a no brainer! The Hph kit is alas far too expensive: 750€ without the photoetched set... Come on... ☹️ 

13 hours ago, Brent said:

By "everything" I meant the big Monogram models of the 70's.

Ah, I see.

Being a Brit, and growing up with 1/72 (I know, I know, but I was like 7 years old!), Monogram really didn't figure over here; it was Airfix and Matchbox that ruled.

11 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

Still waiting for a Dornier Do 17Z.

Indeed! I was only considering the "biggies" ;)

10 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Neil Yan made noises about a B-29 several years ago, and told him it would be a one way ticket to bankruptcy.  

Yup, thanks for that :doh:

7 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I’d say the 1940-era residents of the UK would disagree about the Do17Z not being a bomber ;)

:coolio:

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

To me the C-47 is really the missing link. Used in nearly all conflicts of the second half of the 20th century, painted with schemes of all US services and many other countries, used for close to any role... It is a no brainer! The Hph kit is alas far too expensive: 750€ without the photoetched set... Come on... ☹️ 

but it's soooooo boring 

no guns, no bombs...it'll be big but it just well, 'sits there' and looks dull :unsure:

not even invasion strips on every possible surface make it look cool

for me this is a *classic* "we must have blah..." and yet the number you'd see built would be absolutely zip

just my two pence worth, of course 

6 minutes ago, nmayhew said:Ah, I see.

but it's soooooo boring 

no guns, no bombs...it'll be big but it just well, 'sits there' and looks dull :unsure:

not even invasion strips on every possible surface make it look cool

for me this is a *classic* "we must have blah..." and yet the number you'd see built would be absolutely zip

just my two pence worth, of course 

No guns? Says who?

22 hours ago, Brent said:

Howdy Gang!

I was rooting thru the stash last night. I was pawing all the old Monogram 1/48 bombers. Almost everything has been done. Those that haven't (A-26 & B-26) will probably show up soon. However, the B-29 hasn't been mentioned, has it? What other monster kits will be coming out of China?

We can build most all battleships and carriers in 1/200. I understand even a Titanic is due soon. Why not a B-29?

ß!

I know many people still like those old Monogram kits, I built a lot of them myself, however I did that in the 1970’s and 1980’s.  I would no more purchase one of those kits now than purchase a Walkman or black and white mini television from Radio Schack all though I owned both of those back then.  I respect anyone that likes the old kits, I have very minimal interest in them as new research and technology makes them more obsolete every day.  I hope they are all retooled with new versions as appropriate in 1/32 or 1/48.  We have the new HK B-17 coming in 1/48 hopefully they will do more of these big bombers in 1/48 like the B-29 where it makes sense and do 1/32 where it makes sense.

I should make clear, this is my feeling only, I don’t expect anyone to agree, about these old monogram kits, in the 1970’s and 1980’s I hit a point where I quit building airplanes because I disliked the kit quality so much.  I remember one thing about the monogram B-29 and that was the giant seam that was like the marianas trench where the fuselage halves were to go together.  Even today I would spend hours trying to fix that seam if I build one of those, probably days.  I was not that skilled back then, don’t claim to be now, but the quality of those kits were a misery.  I had just enough access to TAmiya kits to know better was possible.  For years I would not buy a monogram kit unless it was a car  as I just got tired of how bad they were.

My I quit point was at about age 12 to 14 when I built the B-29.  I ended up with this horrible gap where the fuselage halves went together so I tried to cover it up with scotch tape, then spray painted the whole thing silver.  Did not work, did not know what filler was and threw the whole thing in the trash.  I did not touch another monogram plane after that for years.  I still mostly detest those kits.  I built armor kits after that.

Some above have mentioned a 1/32 Dakota I would think that to be a kit that would make a lot of sense.  

Edited by cbk57

At one time I had all of the Monogram bombers, everything from the Mitchell and Marauder through the B-52 & B-36. Even today I'm not aware of any replacements for the Hustler, Stratofortress and Peacemaker.