HH-60G Pavehawk Kitty Hawk 1/35 DONE!!

Pete Fleischmann

22 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

Thanks all for the encouraging words!

I started the dust application on the belly- so far it’s MiG pigment mixed with Life Color remover, and a wash of AK Dust.

From photos, it does tend to wrap up the sides of the fuselage- there are also a few spots on the upper surfaces where it collects. The rotor wash, etc leads to some interesting patterns.

The rain marks on the nose are Life Color dried salt-

had to take a few cues from my armor building buddies for this part-

nTwuAWi.jpg

uE3HwE7.jpg

97DtNPj.jpg

cheers

Pete

So talented Pete. Great work and no doubt a great result ahead for us.

The upper deck is a pretty complicated, fiddly assembly with a lot of alignment angles. The instructions would have you build it off the fuselage, and then, supposedly it’ll all magically click into place.

The dry fit looks ok, but I think building it on top of the fuselage makes more sense to avoid pitfalls later-

WqcTwgJ.jpg

Dry fit here 

cheers

Pete

Pete,

Months ago when you started making those soldier figures I thought, "They look really good, but so what?  What can you do with them?'  Now I and countless others know exactly what you can and are doing with them.  Simply awesome.  When finished, this will be one of the best models ever built at LSP, which is saying a lot.  Go Pete go!

Cheers,

Chuck

23 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Pete,

Months ago when you started making those soldier figures I thought, "They look really good, but so what?  What can you do with them?'  Now I and countless others know exactly what you can and are doing with them.  Simply awesome.  When finished, this will be one of the best models ever built at LSP, which is saying a lot.  Go Pete go!

Cheers,

Chuck

Wow- thanks Chuck! Appreciate that!

I’d put your A-10 in the same category my friend- that incredible model is at the top of my list here at LSP, and will always be a source of inspiration for me.

cheers

Pete

Absolutely brilliant so far. The weathering looks spot on! 

Pete, not sure if you do care a lot about shape accuracy on this build, but I am pretty sure the forward dog house cover looks too flat at the front. I discovered that when I had a closer look a the SH kits. The area I have marked red in below pic is way too flat on the kit IMO. The foremost part of the curve should be much more steep compared with the kit part. 

unbenannt9hkmq.png

4 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Pete, not sure if you do care a lot about shape accuracy on this build, but I am pretty sure the forward dog house cover looks too flat at the front. I discovered that when I had a closer look a the SH kits. The area I have marked red in below pic is way too flat on the kit IMO. The foremost part of the curve should be much more steep compared with the kit part. 

unbenannt9hkmq.png

Starfighter, Maybe just a little. I was part of the R&D proofreading team and that was one of the areas we pointed out to KH to correct.

The original CAD had it alot more flat than now. Being a former UH-60 crew chief, I've looked at plenty of hydraulic deck covers and to me, the model looks close enough. Only an aircrew or someone with a keen eye (such as you) would notice the difference.

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

I would never doubt your authority as a crew chief; I am an R&D engineer for car models and my eye may be "sharpened" to this kind of shape issues - I spotted it right away and I will definitely correct it on my kits as this is a very characteristic area of the helicopter. If you were in the R&D proofreading team, I really wish you'd pushed Kitty Hawk towards correct surface detail by the way - because that's something everybody can spot right away...  

I can definitely see where you would have been able to catch that.

As far as the surface detail, well--let's just say you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. 

I personally would have rather of had raised rivets, but that was KH's choice I suppose.

We can just send our helos to Pete and he can rivet them for us!!!!!!

Tim

11 hours ago, Starfighter said:

unbenannt9hkmq.png

Thanks Ben!
appreciate the heads up-

I’ll take a closer look-

cheers

Pete

Hey all-

heres a look at the progress on the dust application on the belly-

tough to photograph, and the flash washes it out a bit..

RCgCmFO.jpg

what will visually tie the figures to the helo is the dust. It is important that the dust on the bottom of their pant legs and boots  matches the dust on the aircraft, and in the cabin-

0ZYWgG6.jpg
2Bl15HS.jpg

getting there-

cheers

Pete