Lancaster Mk.X , FM159 pictures

Thank you for all those great photos! Useful for Lancs in all scales (I have the Tamiya kit)!

9 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Great photos, wish I could "bump" into something like that when I am lost, lucky person that you are !

Cheers

Dennis

This sounds like the beginning of an aviation ghost story!

Alain

The Canadian Warbird Museum in Hamilton has a Mk.X that flys every Saturday. You can purchase a ride if you are feeling financially flush. No ride for me but just seeing one is pretty cool. 

https://www.warplane.com

Jager

P.S. I would like to add that the museum has a virtual reality program that incorporates an actual WW2 British reporters recording of a night bombing mission over Berlin which he flew in a Lancaster and recorded his observations. This should be a 'must do' if you attend the museum. 

Edited by Jager

I wonder if that is the Canadian Warbird Museum one that was restored in NZ and shipped over a few years ago. I was at the airshow in NZ when it had its flyover. There was the Lancaster, a Spitfire, a Mustang and a Mosquito all in formation and at low altitude for the flyover. The sound and feel of those Merlins was beyond description! I guess in the war everyone just got used to it. Made the classic jets pale in comparison.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by MikeA
Extra detail added

8 hours ago, MikeA said:

I wonder if that is the Canadian Warbird Museum one that was restored in NZ and shipped over a few years ago. I was at the airshow in NZ when it had its flyover. There was the Lancaster, a Spitfire, a Mustang and a Mosquito all in formation and at low altitude for the flyover. The sound and feel of those Merlins was beyond description! I guess in the war everyone just got used to it. Made the classic jets pale in comparison.

Cheers,

Mike

I think you may be confusing a couple of things. The Lancaster owned by the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum was restored by them in Hamilton, Ontario in their own hangars and workshops, with help from a number of organizations. It has never been in NZ. It has been to the States, and there was the epic trip to the UK a few years ago, but she generally flies within Canada with a few side trips to the States. 

Not sure a Lancaster has flown over NZ for a long while.

Richard

Martin, great pictures, and i probably should have turned to your address in my search for interior pictures concerning the post war RCAF resque Lancasters, because i have the HKM kit plus decals to try and create such a lancaster, but would be very anxious to know what was inside these aircraft?  Could you be of assistance in this search?

HTH

Jack

12 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

I think you may be confusing a couple of things. The Lancaster owned by the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum was restored by them in Hamilton, Ontario in their own hangars and workshops, with help from a number of organizations. It has never been in NZ. It has been to the States, and there was the epic trip to the UK a few years ago, but she generally flies within Canada with a few side trips to the States. 

Not sure a Lancaster has flown over NZ for a long while.

Richard

I think he is confusing the Mosquito that was restored in NZ and flew in Canada soon after, before returning to NZ.

Although this is just a guess.

• 1 year later...