"Hotrod" Harvard from the 1/32 Kitty Hawk Texan kit

Starting another build based on the 1/32 Kitty Hawk Texan kit...

Back in 1993, Guido Zuccoli fitted a pair of CAC Boomerang outer wings (built from detailed drawings by Matt Denning) to his Harvard III VH-SNJ!

According to Matt, this resulted in a "Hotrod" Harvard which had 10% faster cruise speed, 50% faster roll rate and aileron deflection loads 40% lower!

Below is a drawing of a standard Harvard III with the Boomerang outer wings overlaid...

47957225336_48f307b690_b.jpg

Harvard with Boomerang outer wings fitted by Derek Buckmaster, on Flickr 

Apart from the swapped outer wings, the aircraft was stock, and painted in its original RNZAF colours as NZ1085. Luckily the Kitty Hawk kit includes RNZAF markings, so the fuselage and wing centre section will be quite straightforward and OOB. The canopy framing will need to change.

• DerekB changed the title to 1/32 Kitty Hawk Texan - "Hotrod" Harvard

OK, work has started. I've added some stringers to the insides of the fuselage side panels and started some interior green painting. 

And now some playing around... here is the Kitty Hawk Texan kit with a set of CAC Boomerang wings from the cool Alley Cat resin kit... this gives an idea of where this is going...

47992971006_b304628958_b.jpg

P1080728 by Derek Buckmaster, on Flickr

The colours of VH-SNJ are exactly as shown for RNZAF colours in the Kitty Hawk kit.

OK, no, I'm not really going to donate the wings from my Alley Cat Boomerang! 

I'll be converting the Kitty Hawk kit wings to match the Boomerang wings...

• DerekB changed the title to "Hotrod" Harvard from the 1/32 Kitty Hawk Texan kit