Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About DerekB

  • Rank
    LSP Member

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
  • Interests
    Early CAC aircraft - Wirraway, Wackett Trainer, Boomerang. Ceres too.

Recent Profile Visitors

378 profile views
  1. splendid work on the model Max. That prop looks like it's ready to slice off a finger!
  2. That looks excellent Max! Great work, and lots of innovative solutions!
  3. OK, work has started. I've added some stringers to the insides of the fuselage side panels and started some interior green painting. And now some playing around... here is the Kitty Hawk Texan kit with a set of CAC Boomerang wings from the cool Alley Cat resin kit... this gives an idea of where this is going... P1080728 by Derek Buckmaster, on Flickr The colours of VH-SNJ are exactly as shown for RNZAF colours in the Kitty Hawk kit. OK, no, I'm not really going to donate the wings from my Alley Cat Boomerang! I'll be converting the Kitty Hawk kit wings to match the Boomerang wings...
  4. Starting another build based on the 1/32 Kitty Hawk Texan kit... Back in 1993, Guido Zuccoli fitted a pair of CAC Boomerang outer wings (built from detailed drawings by Matt Denning) to his Harvard III VH-SNJ! According to Matt, this resulted in a "Hotrod" Harvard which had 10% faster cruise speed, 50% faster roll rate and aileron deflection loads 40% lower! Below is a drawing of a standard Harvard III with the Boomerang outer wings overlaid... Harvard with Boomerang outer wings fitted by Derek Buckmaster, on Flickr Apart from the swapped outer wings, the aircraft was stock, and painted in its original RNZAF colours as NZ1085. Luckily the Kitty Hawk kit includes RNZAF markings, so the fuselage and wing centre section will be quite straightforward and OOB. The canopy framing will need to change.
  5. Max, yes, the Wirraway and the Harvard I shared the same wing design. The conversion of the KH Texan kit to a Wirraway requires lots of surgery, but it's the only thing close in 1/32 scale, so it's a useful starting point. My build log is here: I'm still researching for the other two KH Texan kit builds, so I'll start the build logs for those soon...
  6. I should also have explained that I'm working on 3 of these kits at the moment. Two as Harvards and two as Wirraways. If that doesn't add up, that's because one of the Harvards is a Wirraway. And that statement will make sense when I put up the build logs on these particular models...
  7. Nice work on the tail wheel Max - it's hard to imagine how KH could have got this so wrong on a 1/32 scale kit!
  8. Hi Paulo, actually, my project is an Australian civilian-operated target towing Mustang, with a second seat and target winch installed behind the pilot. Luckily this conversion used a standard canopy. Here's a link to the (slow) build log: https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/75745-aussie-target-tug-mustang/
  9. Continuing my preparations for this build... Firstly, I decided that the Hasegawa kit's sparse cockpit details were not going to cut it, since most of the focus for this model is around the cockpit and the modifications for the target towing gear and rear seat. So I sourced a cockpit sprue from the Tamiya P51-D/K Pacific Mustang kit from eBay. Second, I needed better seats, so I purchased two Barracuda Cast seats. So far I haven't found any photos showing the interior of VH-BOZ in target towing configuration, but these seats will be a good start. Third, I picked up an excellent set of photos of VH-BOZ from "The Collection" (search for them on eBay), selected by David Muir, author of Southern Cross Mustangs. These are all very useful. I'm currently working on a 3D CAD model of the Type B towing winch, so that I can get one printed by Shapeways...
  10. I'm enjoying watching this Paolo, as I have to add a rear seat to my Mustang project (although facing rearwards, since the second seat was to operate the target towing winch). Nice work on the two-seat conversion!
  11. Looking fabulous Eric! Curious reversed CAC lettering on the right hand side speedbird. But then I checked, and that's how it comes in the kit!
  12. Nice one Eric, wish I had one of those! Enjoying this CAC build very much!
  13. DerekB

    RAN A4G

    very sweet work Chris. I was admiring two of these birds in the flesh at Nowra just 3 days ago.
  14. Wonderful work Eric! I'm a big fan of 1920s/30s race planes. Imagine if this had flown! The pictures of this machine "floating" almost fully submerged are mind boggling!
  15. Some small progress this evening from aboard my floating workshop... Here's my "production line" for 1/32 scale Pratt & Whitney R-1340 Wasp engines. I need 2 complete geared engines (one for the Wirraway and one for a Ceres). On the left is the engine from the Kitty Hawk Texan kit, with all the cylinders molded integrally with the crank-case. I'm building this as a test-piece for colours and weathering. On the right are the two resin engines from Vector, with the 3D-printed gear reduction drive housings in front. P1080572 by Derek Buckmaster, on Flickr The 3D printed propeller hubs are back from Shapeways, and here is my "production line" for the Hamilton Standard 3D40 propellers: P1080573 by Derek Buckmaster, on Flickr The nose of the Wirraway is quite different to the later Texan. I need to remove 9mm from the equipment bay to fit the new "dish-pan" at the rear of the cowl. Here I've marked the section to be removed: P1080574 by Derek Buckmaster, on Flickr
  • Create New...