Attitude Aviation Buchon Conversion

LSP_Kevin

It’s great to see you back modelling Kev, and I hope you’re actually enjoying it! We all know, and have probably experienced the loss of mojo so for me there’s not a lot worse than having to flog on with a model because you have to rather than because you want to. I don’t know how people like Geoff Coughlin for instance keep going, sure it’s their business and livelihood but it still takes some doing! 

The Buchon is looking good, she’ll be a little stunner when finished for sure. 

44 minutes ago, mozart said:

It’s great to see you back modelling Kev, and I hope you’re actually enjoying it! We all know, and have probably experienced the loss of mojo so for me there’s not a lot worse than having to flog on with a model because you have to rather than because you want to. I don’t know how people like Geoff Coughlin for instance keep going, sure it’s their business and livelihood but it still takes some doing! 

The Buchon is looking good, she’ll be a little stunner when finished for sure. 

Thanks, Max. It's not mojo I've lacked, but time and opportunity initially, and then completely falling out of the habit. Plus, now having to adapt to having a separate hobby room for the first time in over 20 years. Previously, it was in the same room as my 'office', right there behind me as I worked. Now, it's much more 'out of sight, out of mind', but if I can at least get in there once a day, I'll be able to form some kind of habit again, and allow muscle memory to take over.

Kev

Despite slipping back to Page 5 already, I'm just popping in to declare that this build has not stalled yet again! I've had a busy week attending to other things, but managed a couple of very brief sessions with this one, which mainly involved finding and fixing yet more flaws. So, nothing photo-worthy for this update but hopefully the next one...

Kev

Did I ever tell you the story about I hate masking? Well, I have now, and I guess the secret's out. I hate masking. Masking - I hate it. Hate - I reserve it for masking. That said, I did some, and now have the RLM 71 layer down on the Buchon. I tried for some subtle mottling again on the wings, but didn't bother on the fuselage or tail. I suspect most of it will be lost in the final rendering.

GB6rpy.jpg

Me9Om4.jpg

I'll leave this for a few days to harden, before <insert unmentionable activity I loathe> and applying the RLM 70. With not a whole lot of weathering planned, it should be a hop, skip, and a jump to the finish line from there. Yippee!

Kev

While I wait for the RLM 71 to cure to the point where I'd be confident to mask over it, I decided to attend to the landing gear, for which I'm using these awesome replacement landing gear from Synthetic Ordnance Works, by our very own Damian Andrus.

WTKwmp.jpg

They're basically a resin clone of the Hasegawa kit landing gear, but fully reinforced with a steel rod, which also forms the oleo piston. You use them with the kit oleo scissors, which I haven't bothered to drill out here, as I don't feel like courting disaster today!

bmajbk.jpg

Primed with Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black, and then some Gunze RLM 02, ready for a pin wash.

sk1QMK.jpg

e5duMa.jpg

More when there's more!

Kev

I was really hoping to have a more substantial update for you guys by now, but sadly it's not to be. All I can show is the mostly finished undercarriage legs:

epc5hY.jpg

To the naked eye they look so neat and tidy, but under the glare of the unforgiving macro lens, not so much! I may have to go in with better magnification and neaten up those silver bands. At least the oleos look the part; all I had to do was mask them off!

I've also finished the inside of the landing gear doors:

8U34u7.jpg

I'll clip them off the sprue before finishing the other side. Just some RLM 02 mottled over a black base, followed by a strategic wash of Abteilung Starship Filth. Cheap and cheerful, and all that's required for this build. Not sure whether to attach the finished doors to the legs before attaching the latter to the aircraft, or after...

Hopefully next time I'll be able to report that the RLM 70 is down.

Kev