Attitude Aviation Buchon Conversion

LSP_Kevin

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

Kev you know my leanings towards weathering (in my world they would be just natural metal with no heat effects :) ), but I'd say those look great...my eye was instantly drawn to them as well as the smooth paint finish.

Thanks, Ryan. I enjoy weathering models, but confess that I'm not especially good at it. I'll probably be doing some more heavily weathered builds in the future, but this one will stay relatively clean for the sake of expediency. I think getting a flat coat on those exhausts will go a long way towards achieving a more realistic look, but I'll tinker with washes and dry-brushing also.

Stay tuned!

Kev

14 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I've just checked my references, and have discovered that not only have I got the paint demarcation at the wing root wrong, but the painting guide in the conversion instructions has the curved demarcation from the canopy to the exhausts wrong too. Not sure if I'll do anything about that, but I'll definitely be fixing the wing roots, as they didn't look right to me anyway. Most the of the demarcations should be quite fuzzy also, as the paint appeared to be little more that slapped on for the movie, but I don't feel like taking on that airbrushing challenge right now!

Kev

Kev,

The model looks great.  I think we (most?) all have some ten-footers on our shelves.  Once mine are built, I never get too close to them again...  I hate to be reminded of my mistakes...

I gutted my en-suite and tiled from floor to ceiling.  When ever I am shaving, showering,  or 5h*tting, I look around and relive all of my mistakes I can see.

Thanks, Gaz. I've corrected the wing roots now, and the exhausts are also looking better:

8bHSWK.jpg

HUs7J2.jpg

I nearly forgot about the wing guns (again!), so have started working on them. I really should have taken care of this before I started the paint job!

Kev

Thanks, Andy. Not a lot of time in the hobby room today, despite my best plans, but I did manage to get the fake movie wing cannon ready for installation.

I started by taking a rounded file to the base of the cannon mounts in an attempt to give them a curve that would match the wing leading edge. This got me most of the way there, but to ensure a better fit, I wrapped a piece of sandpaper around the leading edge and rubbed the filed grooves along it. The result isn't perfect, but pretty close. I then drilled and pinned each mount with brass wire:

gFaJQV.jpg

I drilled a corresponding hole in the appropriate location on each wing leading edge:

iddHXj.jpg

Close enough for rock'n'roll:

nVE7Tw.jpg

But more importantly, it's much more secure now than had I simply butt-glued them to the leading edge.

And the overall effect:

ciqwgU.jpg

I think I might even be ready for decals now!

Kev

Kev, I have been really enjoying this on FB on my phone as I have been away from home a lot recently as you know, but seeing it on my big screen at home is super impressive!!  Well done mate, I totally love this build! 

You've still got it mate....we wanna see more now :D

And just like that, the decals are on!

Bz4Wox.jpg

mlugYZ.jpg

I was a little apprehensive about using them at first, as they seemed slightly translucent on the sheet. There's even an alternative pair of ALPS-printed sheets supplied, that duplicate everything except the national insignias, and come with a separate set of white backgrounds. But I needn't have worried, as they're extremely thin, very crisply printed, and with great opacity. My only criticism would be that they were a bit of a struggle to release from the backing paper.

The only other disappointment in the process was that the Micro Set I used caused some minor staining on the green paints:

hAOMNM.jpg

I'm hoping some clear coats will eliminate or at least minimise their presence.

I also gave Mr. Happy Face a brush-painted coat of Citadel Lead Belcher, just to avoid any peekaboo effect behind the spinner:

Gb9B9s.jpg

The end is nigh, as they say!

Kev

The only other disappointment in the process was that the Micro Set I used caused some minor staining on the green paints

Very nice work, I love it!
What an atypical model.
Did you protect your paint by putting a coat of gloss varnish?
It's a pity that decal product can damage the paint...

2 minutes ago, Furie said:

Did you protect your paint by putting a coat of gloss varnish?

No gloss coat on this one, as I was trying to eliminate as many unnecessary steps as possible, and certainly never expected Micro Sol to have any effect on the paint! But Gunze Aqueous paints are infamous for drying a little on the soft side, and my bottles are pretty old now. Hopefully it won't be too noticeable on the finished model, but if it is, I'll touch up those areas with fresh paint.

Kev

19 minutes ago, Furie said:

Thank you for this clarification, as I will be using Gunze Aqueus and decal softener.

Once bitten, twice shy !

I've certainly had decal solutions ruin decals before, but I don't think I've ever experienced an issue with the paint itself. Perhaps it's because I usually gloss coat first!

Kev