B-24 Ditching test

Finn

57 minutes ago, hamfists nz said:

It had lots of horrible reputations..like one cannon shell through the spar between the fues and either engine 2 or 3 and it was bye-bye wing

Your comments remind of that infamous footage of a B-24 taking a direct flak hit around the wing root and the entire wing just folding over on itself.

Here, found it:

9 hours ago, John1 said:

Dead calm, trained test pilots and the aircraft still catastrophically failed.  Now I see why the Lib had such a horrible ditching survival rate.   

I was kind of surprised to see that big kink in the fuselage and the way the front end immediately submerged, all during a pretty controlled, "calm" landing.  If you can call this "calm."

On 1/19/2019 at 5:33 AM, dennismcc said:

Pretty cool, I liked the way one of the pilots took the time to comb his hair after getting out of the aircraft.

Cheers

Dennis

the 3 cardinal rules of an aviator - 

Always look cool

Never crash

If you do crash, at least try to look cool

Edited by John1

It seems like the B-24 not being good in a water landing would be obvious from the design.  A long narrow fuselage combined with a high mounted wing.  Can it really end in any other way than the aircraft skidding along the narrow belly until it tips to one side and catches a wingtip in the water?

20 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

And that particular plane was reinforced in the belly for the test.  I've read it was almost impossible to ditch a conventional one because the garage door style bomb bay doors would just blow out ripping the fuse apart.

From what I've read, almost always, the crew in front were typically killed during ditching.   Can't imagine what it would be like ditching a Lib on open ocean.  That test was done on a glass calm river.  Doesn't get any better than that.    The Lib is a beautiful bomber (IMO) but she definitely wasn't as rugged as the B-17.  

I’d imagine that in almost all crash landings, they’d get the crew out of the nose, if they could.  Probably have everyone not flying in the rear with their backs against the rear bomb bay bulkhead so they could bail out of the waist windows as soon as the aircraft stopped.