"The Star of Africa" - Hans-Joachim Marseille's Do-335 A-2/Trop - Yellow 14 - FINISHED!

Out2gtcha

4 minutes ago, Shawn M said:

Quality work all around!

The thought of flying a second airframe with a gimble while trying to fly your airplane and not:

- get shot down

- crash

- try to fly the wrong airframe with the wrong control

seems like a PITA!

Even WITH the soon to come elbow rest I think they would have had to move that wire guided technology WAY into the future to actually get any kills with it me thinks! 

Fortunately,

by late 1944, the technology had come far enough that it was at least more intuitive, as to get some kills with it and make it viable for installation and use in combat. :lol: 

Thanks once again for the kind words guy, it really helps to keep me motivated!  I realized yesterday that I needed to start on the wings but there was a lot of detail missing in the OOB parts for the sidewalls. I know I could scratch some of it, but I really wanted to keep this one more simple and use AM if possible to keep the work load and time down. 

I also realized after putting all that work into the Yaho IP both front and back, that the OOB gun-site that the Yaho IP attaches to was very poor indeed...........

So..................I broke down down and ordered some things.

First I figured out the the Eduard Do-335 exterior has some really needed things in it, mainly for me beyond the wheel well stuff, was the MUCH needed rad screens up front. The HKM part is just a smooth face. You can see the OOB smooth face rad front at the top on the sprue, just above the cockpi:

Do335_23.thumb.jpg.9058e439be5d0f7a124ba

Looking at a close up section of the radiator front, you can see how it comes completely devoid of any screen or mesh look, with just a smooth face (again here just above the pit)

Do335_25.thumb.jpg.677182082756aa5b25fcd

I do have some left over PE screen, but I would have had to scratch up the radiator separation sections, and I just dont think I could have done as good of a job as Eduard did, so I ordered the Do-335 exterior set which should be here tomorrow, and which comes with some very nice detail for the rad front, and wheel wells:

s-l1600.gif

This solved the rad front issue, as well as some detailing in the wheel bays. Not perfect, but it will do for sure.   I now have the fuselage closed up, along with the spine on, and under fuse scoop too. 

Pics soon! 

I almost forgot the "other" thing.....

I was going to order a set of the Northstar Models Revi gun sights, but the lowest I could find the later Revi 16 was $8 with $12 shipping.....NO way!

So I went with the next best option, which was the 32nd Quickboots Revi sights:

s-l640.jpg

Hopefully the PE exterior set will be here tomorrow, so I can get a start on the wings.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:52 AM, Kagemusha said:

Those missiles look great. There is a decent Marseille figure by Maim, I know it states it's Hartmann, but they got it wrong - it's based on an old Puchala figure, who also made this set, which sadly is long oop.

Just in case anyone's interested, this is the Hartmann figure by Maim, ex-Puchala

Valiant Miniatures also had him as a metal figure (and apparently still does). I had it, but not sure if I still do or not. I first saw it in an old Sheperd Paine book.

A very interesting backstory, and the model's coming along nicely.  Looking forward to seeing the results.

Quick question - not trying to be awkward, it really is the sort of thing I wonder about.  Did the hot dry environment in theatre exacerbate the rear engine's tendency to catch fire, or had that issue been fixed  in this reality?