Short Sunderland MkII

tomprobert

10 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I'll look forward to seeing you get back into the Anson again - I was enjoying your progress. There's a great article on the Anson in this month's 'Aeroplane' and I thought of your build when I saw it.

All the best,

Tom

Thanks for the heads up Tom, I'm popping over to the model centre in Frome today so I'll look for a copy in Smiths, the more references the better! 

9 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

What a great project! I didn't know either there was a Sunderland in 1/32. It actually seems quite a well done vac.

Alain

The ID vacs are great - now Tigger has them they’re even better. Good thick plastic and superb transparencies. Great fun :) 

I had a very productive day on the Sunderland yesterday - the opening up of the portholes is now complete.

As with the port side fuselage, I carefully measured the plans and transferred the position of the portholes onto the fuselage before opening them up:

46490131501_deb21dd33c_z.jpgWindow apertures by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The trickiest part was ensuring that they were all perfectly aligned and identical, but hopefully this photo shows they're close enough to pass a cursory glance:

45577093315_f5e5d40349_z.jpgWindow alignment by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Here are the two fuselage halves with their portholes finished and I can now continue with more detailing work on the fuselage:

45766736654_3931d46448_z.jpgRear Turret Aperture by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

A useful size comparison when compared to my iPhone:

45766736524_e292a4340a_z.jpgSize Comparison by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

And this is where my attention will be turning now:

45766737124_e1b9256c5f_z.jpgInterior by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

As you can see the interior isn't exactly brimming with detail, so plenty of scratch-building ahead!

I'm hoping to make the most of the last couple of days of my holiday before returning to work on Monday - there maybe another update before the weekend is out but it'll depend on whether I can persuade the wife to go out somewhere for the day :winkgrin:

Tom

Awesome project, and beautiful clean start!

Markjames…..that Sunderland looks amazing.  Do tell us more????  As crazy as it sounds, I would LOVE a Sunderland MR5 in 32nd.

Keep up the great work.  I am sure you have many interested here

Cheers Anthony