HK;s Lancaster.

Phartycr0c

Right folks, here she is, the completed HK Lancaster displayed at Telford 2018. 

A little history behind its attendance goes thus: waaaay back in 2017 I had a conversation with the very generous Neil Yan, around the timings for the Lancaster release, on the basis that the theme of the LSP stand was to be 100 years of the RAF and there is nothing really about representing bomber command .

Having, like many others, followed the progress of the lancasters development It was my intention to build one for the stand.

During a conversation with one of my closest friends, I found out that his dad served as a Merlin tech on 97 Squadron. I thought a 97 marked Lanc would provide a fitting tribute to Chris's dad particularly as he had passed away in 2016.

Time went by, Lancaster news was thin on the ground until it was announced that April 2018 may be a release date. I got all excited. 

Anyhow, time again passed, May, June July, then Its coming in September!.  it was at this point that Neil contacted me and said that If he could, he would make a Test shot available to me to build in time for Telford, then 6 weeks away. I wet myself! im not ashamed. 

With five weeks to It became reality, Neil let me know he had shipped the test shot and a couple of days later A hoofing cardboard box arrived containing this 

31988225738_e0af6d5053_b.jpgIMG_6332[1]

A total of 5 weeks to go! 

The test shot consisted of the kit and nowt else. Build instructions decals and photo etch were absent indeed the final instructions and colour call outs were not ready at that point. fortunately I had accrued quite a bit of research material, so armed with a development set of cad drawings it was on with the build. 

On another note the kit included the limited edition clear parts for the fuselage sides and cockpit area.

The only things I have added to this build are a set of Eduard fabric belts for the Pilots seat and I used Peters Airscale dial decals to spruce the pilot and engineers panel up a bit. This is one area where the kit is completely lacking, The IP dials are represented by raised disks on an otherwise detail void piece of plastic. 

I will say here and now, in order to, raise the levels of this area, Peters bespoke Lancaster control panel set is an absolute must as the IP and cockpit area are highly visible through the Crystal Palace that is the cockpit glass.  

I have to say now, that despite a lack of build instructions, the constructions process is logical and straightforward although I will not go into details on the kit as there will be many reviews and in any case, Jim Hatch is doing a build thread over on LSM. 

So on with the show. 

44317610420_a68dbcab19_b.jpg

Yep it breaks down for transport a'la B25 and B17. Played HK!

44317606830_cbaab8fff9_b.jpg

46084243082_17bca22d79_b.jpg

45222902655_2a64fa2b71_b.jpg

Squadron markings Home made, roundels and stencils are Kitsworld, Youll note, No AC serial numbers..... no time.

44317600690_2a746eb2ba_b.jpg

46134091681_928e3441bd_b.jpg

End part 1

Part 2

32263058348_ffb90deecd_b.jpg

Its been noted there is a slight Dihedral on the tailplane, this is not a "thing" the TP,s are removable and as such are a little loose and floppy in the socket. Glue em, problem gone. 

46084233842_36c01b36ec_b.jpg

45222888935_e40077a5f8_b.jpg

Wings are a clever and very secure bayonet fit. Word of warning! If you intend to have the wings removable for storage / transport, test fit test fit sand test fit sand slowly until you achieve and action you are happy with. When I say the fit is secure, I mean it, removing the wings requires a push on the trailing edge of the wing pushing it forwards. If you have the flaps open, shame to close them, AND glue the props on permanently, there is nowhere to grab the beast secure enough to exert sufficient force to break the lock. it took small amounts of the mechanism off until the wings slid easily with very little force. 

46084226302_9dc69aecc7_b.jpg

The next few shots, hopefully depict the sublime level of details in this kit.

Its not until you start to get primer paint and wash onto this beast that you can truly appreciate what an outstanding finish HK has achieved. ON another note the top and underside of the  wings are very handily moulded in one piece similar to the Mosquito one piece wing. 

32263038818_58fd3de9a8_b.jpg

31195078057_711b7b2b92_b.jpg

End of part 2

Part 3

45410380484_077ddf559c_b.jpg

Norbert will recognise these guys. painted by my son. by the way, the merlins and bombs were constructed by my daughter. 21 and 18 respectively. 

45222875825_d21c97459f_b.jpg

4 x very nice Merlin XX's included. Now, whilst following the the draft instructions, I completely missed that there is an option to build the engine nacells and covers without the merlins installed so here she stands with 4 fully detailed merlins! .

likewise The tube support structures are not required, there are parts to connect the exhaust stubs to the heat shield. saves a lot of time. In addition the kit includes parts to complete the whole engine support structure as a skeletal frame complete with oil tanks etc. I left these off due to time constraints. 

44317570880_5a851aa0d8_b.jpg

Another shot of the outstanding surface detail.

46134063771_af2d06b94f_b.jpg

44317566070_48299373ae_b.jpg

32263016928_103246b177_b.jpg

So there she is folks. WNW or HK? 

An absolute gift for superdetailing and aftermarket goodies if one so desires. The clear parts are crystal clear and nicely moulded, however the internal ribbing makes it a little difficult to view the interior detail clearly, but without the ribbing the parts would be so fragile they would be impossible to work.

By the way, there is no surface detail on the clear parts for obvious reasons. 

My large gut feeling is that if you choose to invest in this kit you will not be disappointed or left wanting although take longer than 5 weeks eh? 

Edited by Phartycr0c

I have no doubt at all you will love it. The main thing that surprised me was the level of detail in the surface. It wasnt until i got the first layer of primer on that I noticed it. I sat down with a cup of coffee and just stared at it. 

Oh and Master barrels are soooooo nice. they were a must. 

Edited by Phartycr0c