Lancaster purchase

Southern Bandit

1/32 Lancaster purchase  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying a 1/32 HK or WnW Lancaster?

• Yes, I am buying at least one HK Lancaster.
    • Yes, I am buying at least one WNW Lancaster, even though I wait longer.
    • Yes I am buying at least one of each.
    • No, not for me.
    • What's a Lancaster?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/16/2018 at 10:59 PM

I won't buy one as it's too big for me. 
Maybe later, in few years, who knows.

But I'm looking forward to few dozens of excellent builds here...

:popcorn:

And one more thing would be interesting to know.

Would everybody who goes after the WNW Lanc buy the one by HK if WNW wouldn't announce/make their own?

:hmmm:

25 minutes ago, Trak-Tor said:

IWould everybody who goes after the WNW Lanc buy the one by HK if WNW wouldn't announce/make their own?

:hmmm:

I probably would have because its a Lanc and Lancaster's have a special place in my heart but would like to have known if they were going to do a Dambuster too and go for that, the HK Lanc after all still looks an amazing kit.

But perhaps as with their Mosquito and once under real (at home) Modeller scrutiny there might be errors? probably wont be, but their glass nosed Mossie looked awesome up until the leading wing root error was discovered, the B-17 nose issue too. its too early to say if the shot of the WNW oil canning effect is over emphasized, (photography lighting wise) unfixable (I doubt it) or even final yet, but for accuracy and all pricing aside I'd wager WNW's Lanc will be the more overall accurate OOB and I'm no betting man ... so that would be a safe bet for me.

Edited by Southern Bandit

I'll be building the HK Lanc before too long, ordered and paid for a few months ago BUT if the WnW's Lanc is that good I'd build that too but perhaps with cut away sections to reveal the interior detail, that hopefully would complement the HK one. 

I am fighting to justify the complexity and size of the Hobby Boss B-24D. 

Although I didn't want one enough, the HKM B-17 price was the zone I was hoping for the Lancaster.

On reflection, we now seem to be in an escalating price scenario where extra detail here and there is of course worth just that extra hundred quid. It's too expensive now. I might have been happy with a Hobby Boss rendition for thirty £5 notes.

Tony 

I'd be curious to know what percentage of Lancaster buyers will actually finish the project and display it.

The plane is @ 2 feet x 3 feet in 1/32 scale.

I would think most modelers will not already have a display cabinet deep enough to accommodate the Lancaster's dimensions.  So then, if you don't want your model to be covered in dust, you are probably making a custom acrylic display box for it that would likely cost $300 (US) or maybe more.

You are then going to need a special piece of furniture (some type of table maybe?) to place the acrylic box on, and then you would almost need to dedicate a small room or corner of a room to the table/display box.  

We have seen some modelers display the HK B-17 hung on the wall, vertically.  That overcomes the problems I've described above.  I actually like the appearance of that, but I'm sure that approach is not for everyone.

If anyone plans on buying one of the Lancasters, I'd love to hear ideas on how modelers plan to overcome the display problem!

I guess I'm fortunate in that it's just my wife and me living in a large house so my Lancaster (maybe two) will be in my study. I don't plan on having it in a case, I'll just put a very soft brush over it regularly to keep the dust off, like I do with the other models in there. 

If the WnW happens to come in at or slightly under the £400 bar, and I've completed the MiG kits I've said I would in the interim I might, just might, justify that much money for a no-extras-needed OOTB build. 

WnW say the wing tips (outboard of the outer engine?) will be detachable so having one wing off substantially reduces the footprint. 

Probably will stick out a little from an Ikea Ivar shelf. 

Dust? Always a problem but as Mozart says a soft brush will sort that out. 

Mounted nose up heading 030 or 330 on the study wall might work. With our ceilings a dangler would be at perilously low level.

Waiting for reviews. I'd pay £275-300 for an HKM (very unlikely now, so ruled out) and possibly up to £400 for a WnW OOTB Dambuster, but I might be kidding myself there. 

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
Heading change

Nope, too big and way too expensive....

The price and sieze puts it in the same league as the HB 1/200 warships (Tirpitz, Bismark, Hood), or the HK B-17 and the HB Libby (albeit more affordable)

But....

I said the same about the Revell 1/48 B-1B Bomber but got one very cheap....

I said the same about the HK B-25 Mitchell, but got one for a very fair price I could not resist.....

So If I find one at a good price, why not?

It would be cool just to own one, even if I never build it (same goes for the most of my stash anyway....)

Cheers!

Stefan :)

I work as a volunteer for ARG 1940-1945 and the museum has enough room for 1/32 bombers. One of the displays is about DV286 of 300 Squadron the remains of which we recovered from the Ijsselmeer together with the Dutch navy during 2003. The model I intend to do will complement the many recovered items of that Lanc. We also have an original RR Vulture engine in good condition my Manchester conversion of the prototype HKM Lancaster will make a nice addition too. Plenty of room for the HB Liberator too.

At home......that's a different matter:blink:
Cees

1 hour ago, ringleheim said:

I'd be curious to know what percentage of Lancaster buyers will actually finish the project and display it.

The plane is @ 2 feet x 3 feet in 1/32 scale.

I would think most modelers will not already have a display cabinet deep enough to accommodate the Lancaster's dimensions.  So then, if you don't want your model to be covered in dust, you are probably making a custom acrylic display box for it that would likely cost $300 (US) or maybe more.

You are then going to need a special piece of furniture (some type of table maybe?) to place the acrylic box on, and then you would almost need to dedicate a small room or corner of a room to the table/display box.  

We have seen some modelers display the HK B-17 hung on the wall, vertically.  That overcomes the problems I've described above.  I actually like the appearance of that, but I'm sure that approach is not for everyone.

If anyone plans on buying one of the Lancasters, I'd love to hear ideas on how modelers plan to overcome the display problem!

That is what I have in mind. 

With the imminent B-24s I shall mostly be shelling out on a couple of those, then saving pennies for the WnW Lancaster when it appears in 2019.

But - I *have* to finish my B-17G first - or I don't get to get the Lanc - I have witnesses, right?

My rate of acquisition has gone right down in last few years - just trying to concentrate on things I really want. I recon the B-24, Lanc + the HpH Wyvern and Iconicair Supermarine Attacker will keep me very happy/busy for a while!  :)

Every now and then I say it, but I'm going to say it again: have we *ever* had it so good?  :beer4:

Iain

1 hour ago, ringleheim said:

Well Jim, Im currently building the dust free display space with basic dimensions 180cm x 85cm

this was designated to accomodate PBY once done and all 4 engine heavies :D And I plan to finish the Lanc within 2 years after I will get one ;)

jan