Lancaster purchase

Southern Bandit

1/32 Lancaster purchase  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying a 1/32 HK or WnW Lancaster?

• Yes, I am buying at least one HK Lancaster.
    • Yes, I am buying at least one WNW Lancaster, even though I wait longer.
    • Yes I am buying at least one of each.
    • No, not for me.
    • What's a Lancaster?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/16/2018 at 10:59 PM

My original plan was to buy the first HKM kit ... and then another as the budget allowed along with Grahams Dam Buster Upkeep conversion.

Given that we're at least a year away from the WnW release I'll be proceeding with at least the 1st part of this plan ...

A kit in the stash is worth two in development.

Unsure on the second now ... It will depend on:

- The WnW pricing point vs the combination pricing of the HKM kit + Iconicair conversion ... and if that information is readily to hand when the time comes to pull the trigger.

- The allure of owning my first ever WnW kit.

Rog :)

My wife told me last night she would get me the HK Lanc and the Liberator for Christmas (obviously some preparatory work was necessary to get to that statement...), so I volunteered to do the ordering (since it is not completely necessary for her to know how much they cost). I am going to use the HK Lanc to build Phantom of the Ruhr (already have the decals) and I will most likely build it OOB, except for seatbelts and gun barrels. I will most likely get the WNW Dambuster when it comes out but I am in no hurry as I will need to build the HK Lanc first to justify a second Lanc to my wife. 

1 hour ago, Dukie99 said:

I am going to use the HK Lanc to build Phantom of the Ruhr (already have the decals)

The Kits World decals are accurate for the Battle of Britain memorial flight rendition, but inaccurate for the wartime aircraft - I helped Eli at Zotz research the plane, amongst others, though whether that decal sheet is released remains to be seen due to his health problems, and relocation of his graphic artist.

I’m going with HK for now. Looking at the WNW website, the oil canning effect looks overdone. A lot less subtle than Airfix’s typhoon, and that was in 1/24. Reckon I’ll also be in the market for the HB Liberator. I’ll look at the WNW again if they refine that surface details, I get a good price for the kidney I’ll be selling shortly, and the wife hasn’t kicked me out on the street by then. 

i was going to pre-order the HKM, but this has changed my mind

it's just too much money to get "mosquito'd" - ie a good kit, but when put next to the tamiya one, you can see what they got wrong, and it's just annoying

price is no issue for me, but that doesn't mean i am willing to pay £300+ for something that is not spot on etc 

i will wait for reviews and see what people say about the HKM one - if it's good i'll probably get one anyway

10 hours ago, Gerhard said:

I am really going to try to get the HKM one, I have their B-17G, but with the bargain priced HB B-24, my life is getting difficult. I cant buy the B-24 AND the Lancaster.

I can't really afford either, but I'd much prefer the B-24, if I can figure out how to get my hands on one.

44 minutes ago, TimHepplestone said:

I’m going with HK for now. Looking at the WNW website, the oil canning effect looks overdone. A lot less subtle than Airfix’s typhoon, and that was in 1/24. Reckon I’ll also be in the market for the HB Liberator. I’ll look at the WNW again if they refine that surface details, I get a good price for the kidney I’ll be selling shortly, and the wife hasn’t kicked me out on the street by then. 

I have to agree, the wings, in particular, on the WNW images, looked way overkill, at least to me.

1 hour ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

I have to agree, the wings, in particular, on the WNW images, looked way overkill, at least to me.

I was looking through the 467/463 squadron photo albums recently, I remember one shot probably taken through the w/op window across the port wing and I don't recall seeing any oil canning at all. I'm away from home till Friday but I'll check it again then. 

15 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

The Kits World decals are accurate for the Battle of Britain memorial flight rendition, but inaccurate for the wartime aircraft - I helped Eli at Zotz research the plane, amongst others, though whether that decal sheet is released remains to be seen due to his health problems, and relocation of his graphic artist.

Thank you Kagemusha, this is helpful information. I usually paint the markings on my models so I mainly purchase these decals for the nose art. I have started assembling period pictures of the Phantom so hopefully I can come up with a realistic wartime rendition of that aircraft.

Cheers,

David