Scratchbuilt 1/24 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Jim Barry

Slight delays making good headway. One way I got BACK into the Bearcat commitment was to dust off the skills. A Hasegawa 1/72 P-3C Orion has been in my stash for years and I felt some time at the bench with it might be good to get the mojo back. Nothing too fancy. It's not LSP but it's big..bigger than the Bearcat. I was sort of thinking I'd just black out the windows and not get bogged by a cockpit but AFTER I glued the halves together, I felt guilty and so I sawed the front off the plane like an executioner and inserted the cockpit. Kind of fun for a disaster. The P-3 is dear to my heart since I grew up (and still live) next to Brunswick Naval Air Station where the P-3 flew over my head for like 33 years (1977 to 2010). A good friend flew for VP-10 (Red Lancers)  and so I'll make some decals for it.  A static display P-3 is minutes away for reference. It's a beauty! 

vFnW4I.jpg

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

The Bearcat is getting close to number 1 on the deck again, but I did get distracted by this idea I could get a 3D image ( on the Internet)  and print an mp 40 (I use shapeways)  finish it and mount it for hobby room decor.  1/4 scale. It worked! Kinda related to the Bearcat which is also a beneficiary of 3D printing.

pmDnbK4Aj

pmVFiHH9j

po1RHIL9j

Edited by Jim Barry

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I was a kid in the early '60's I was just gonzo over the latest jet aircraft coming out (the 100 series, and the bombers).  And the delta wing fighters were just wondrous.  That would be quite a project Jim.

Posted (edited)

That's the sense these planes give me. The Century Fighters era must have been a great era to be a wide-eyed kid. New planes every year, practically. x planes galore. Mach 3 bombers. My childhood in the 70s gave us the f-15,16,18 and the A-10 which was pretty good. It's been a long time since something has inspired a generation. I don't know what kids think of the F-22 or the F-35. Stealth (I imagine) is frankly not that exciting to them. 

Edited by Jim Barry