Scratchbuilt 1/24 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Jim Barry

21 hours ago, Jim Barry said:

Sadly the cat fell victim of a bad plan and too much ambition. I really like the 3D stuff but then lost interest in the more conventional modeling which is considerable in this project. In over my head! 

Well thats too bad.

• 1 year later...

Cleaning the basement this month, I found the Bearcat on a shelf, cobwebs and everything! I had given it up years ago as "too ambitious", but now that the frustration is all in the past and I have forgotten what was bugging me. Maru was right... I would be back!   I retired last week from a 33 year career in Insurance Finance.  I have lots and lots of TIME suddenly! Back to model making makes sense. 

po5HDYlgj

Edited by Jim Barry

I have just read all 12 pages of this thread Jim, and enjoyed every one of them! welcome back - you love this aircraft much too much to let it languish unfinished. good luck with your continued efforts, as there are many bearcat lovers out there still waiting for this beauty to see the light of day in all of her glory! :)

Cheers

Derek

Thanks for the supporting words, guys. Much appreciated. Yes, Jay, this  LSP thing all makes so much more sense in retirement! I've got a long one, too. I'm 55. 

I'm already shopping for supplies and building up my scratch workshop again. My hobby space (a 10'x10' "tiny house")  had fallen into as much disrepair as the Bearcat and it too is being re-launched for 2022. (no mice allowed !!!) 

It struck me as I ate my yogurt today that it would be a fitting tribute to Fozzy to ALSO scratch with some plastic container. His posts here inspired the crafty nature of scratch building that I enjoy and so it's a little tribute to add this yogurt container as a part of the model. Ugly duckling in progress! 

Pa8UFg.jpg

Just catching up Jim, and your Bearcat is really taking shape! How will you be adding the panel lines? FWIW, I mainly use Tamiya AS-12 Bare Metal Silver as a primer. It has excellent “grab”, is durable, opaque, and really shows any flaws that need fixing. Model on!

Cheers,  Tom

Panel lines are troubling me but I figure I'll trial and error something to get it right. Primer does not seem to hold a clean line. Latex (housepaint) is possible as the "surface" in which I scribe but it has to be thickish and grip the primer really well. Mr surfacer 1000 is in the mail for testing. The  real Bearcat is light on panel lines generally speaking. There's also some chance I try to create the real panels with metal tape like I did for the Fury. 

Thanks for the tip on Tamiya AS-12. I have not used their paints.