Scratchbuilt 1/24 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Jim Barry

On 9/3/2017 at 7:24 PM, Gazzas said:

You are a brave, patient man, indeed.  Look forward to seeing it come to life.

Gaz

There was a time, back in the 70's when making models from balsa was quite popular. I bet I built at least a dozen of the Guillows kits. With all the references and other things available today, it would not be any difficult than it was back then, you just have to cut out all your own formers instead of using die cut.

33 minutes ago, STM said:

There was a time, back in the 70's when making models from balsa was quite popular. I bet I built at least a dozen of the Guillows kits. With all the references and other things available today, it would not be any difficult than it was back then, you just have to cut out all your own formers instead of using die cut.

Scratchbuilding standards in the 70s had nothing to do with the standards of 2022.
In them old days, it was essentially a manual chore based on fuzzy drawings printed on pulp paper.

Nowadays we have to deal with digital measurements, microscopic-sized 3D details and macro photography.

1 hour ago, quang said:

Scratchbuilding standards in the 70s had nothing to do with the standards of 2022.
In them old days, it was essentially a manual chore based on fuzzy drawings printed on pulp paper.

Nowadays we have to deal with digital measurements, microscopic-sized 3D details and macro photography.

1972 or 2022, the principles of building are still the same, regardless. We do indeed have much more available to us now, but all that does is make things easier. A true craftsman can build something with only what is available.

1 hour ago, STM said:

1972 or 2022, the principles of building are still the same, regardless. We do indeed have much more available to us now, but all that does is make things easier. A true craftsman can build something with only what is available.

I’ve done a few scratchbuilts in my time using plasticard vacuum-formed over a balsa core. They were not too bad compared to the then current (1980s) standards of commercial plastic kits.

But compared with nowadays standards of ICM or ZM, they would look rather simplistic and stark naked albeit accurately shaped.

It’s like baking a cake. The basic recipe hasn’t changed but one just can’t catch up with the current fashionable trimmings by using only one’s own fingers like a ‘true craftsman’ would.

Edited by quang

16 minutes ago, quang said:

I’ve done a few scratchbuilts in my time using plasticard vacuum-formed over a balsa core. They were not too bad compared to the then current (1980s) standards of commercial plastic kits.

But compared with nowadays standards of ICM or ZM, they would look rather simplistic and stark naked albeit accurately shaped.

It’s like baking a cake. The basic recipe hasn’t changed but one just can’t catch up with the current fashionable trimmings by using only one’s own fingers like a ‘true craftsman’ would.

+1........i've done some "scratching" the same way you did, and ofcourse depending on figures and measurements and blue prints this was THE way of doing this kind of producing a kit, but you're right about the "fashionable trimmings" currently available, but still some good old scratchbuilding gives me more pleasure than contemporary methods, just my way you know.

Same goes for vacuform kits, but that is just my opinion, what ever makes you enjoy building in this hobby is the personal important issue, either being it the "old fashioned" way or going all out with new techniques.

just my 2 pennies

Jack

tonight. Another iteration of the dorsal fin. It’s one of those things that seems easy until you check the reference and it just gets harder. The foil here is from a little stash Peter ( Airscale) shared with me years ago to use on the Fury. Working well here. I like the connection. Also used it on the Canopy band/frame.

Lots of sanding still going on. 

goodnight gents. Build well! 

gQGkja.jpg

Edited by Jim Barry

Great progress, Jim.

Can’t wait to see how you’d deal with the wheel bays (or rather lack of) :hmmm:. It’s the main obstacle that prevents me from going on with the build of my Trumpeter’s kit.

Edited by quang

quang, yeah, you get it about the wheel bays. It's pretty scary stuff and has been a troubling aspect of project energy for me too. To finish this project I'm coming to realize that it's something that will be 'unimpressive' but I simply have to get on with the show as they say. I have a number of little 1/144 scratchbuilt planes like this Phantom and there is a little unwritten rule about them. "don't turn them upside down" . It's not pretty. 

TrlXwE.jpg