SAAB J-29F/B from Fly model

Guest Martinnfb

• 4 weeks later...

Got mine today. Had a quick look and it looks good in the box, a perfect base for super detailing. Except for the air intake. Something wrong there, too large diameter or just too short. Not sure.

Most decals need replacing, regarding 29F, except for the small roundels which are spot on 960mm.

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine the other day, my first thought was the cockpit looks very shallow? The control sidewalls aren't very tall compared to the bottom of the seat pan. 

Not too fussed, this one is just a cool thing to have on the shelf, not a perfection model. 

1 hour ago, AndersN said:

AM incoming.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12447

There you can judge for yourselves what small errors like 3mm really do.

It's obviously a 3D-printed replacement nose ring, but can you give us a brief summary of the details in English, Anders? Will this fix be commercially available? If so, is it from anyone we're familiar with, or just a concerned private citizen happy to share the fruits of his labours?

Kev

Yeah, he's a very concerned private citizen happy to share the fruits of his labours. Personally I'm more than happy to see something NOT emerging from the Maestro/Rebell/Tarangus stable.

Basically it's like this, when he got this he did the same observations as I did and found out that the air intake is 3mm wide. He has a quite good 3d scanner and personal access to a 29F so he scanned it and will now adjust the cad to fit the kit. Planned fixes/details so far are Boarding ladder, seat, after burner, the corrected seamless sucker and maybe new landing gear covers which are too large (there should be 1,5mm more space between the wing and the door top, which is quite obvious to the Tunnan nazis like myself)

I can't post images here anymore but there is a wip pic of the seat on my instagram @andersngluesniffer

I'm sure he'll make a blog or something to sell from. He already has suitable wheel chocks available and a jack in preparation.

Edited by AndersN

I need those AM stuff. I hate nitpicking small issues but for me these are more than small, especially the nose intake which is too obvious and visible and I'll hate the model, actually three, each time I look if I build them this way.

I appreciate such decent efforts from manufacturers, I acknowledge it is not easy and cheap to produce a kit and I buy in order to support them whenever I can. We build the models they make after all, they should survive and I have not any intention of manufacturer bashing or whatsoever. But now that putting the time and the effort and the money is already there, why not design a correct one?

The real thing does not have to be laser scanned, though that would be ultimately correct. Today's software gives you tons of tools to extract dimensional information even from photos taken from correct angles. 

Anyway, I am in if these AM corrections come around.

Got my copy of the Tunnan kit as well as a set of canopy masks:

imgp50580mj82.jpg

Dunno if you know about this but the Tunnan was a russian design. Look:

imgp5059hik5j.jpg

Well, we know about the russian urge for peacekeeping missions, hence the UN markings. Indeed.

Nice glitch of the box design. The inscription is all around the box, but taped over in the most places with the correct designation :D

Regards

- dutik