Arado Ar 196 recovered in the Aegean

D.B. Andrus

There must be a heap of 'junk' down there!

Out in the Pacific they're quite worried about wreck/scrap collectors looting war graves etc.

Must be difficult knowing for sure if there are any remains left within these wreck time capsules, but even the registered one's are being lifted according to news reports.

I actually completely and very strongly disagree Clunk. 

If they can be found, they deserve a proper burial.  When dealing with a battle ship as an example... this is impractical if not impossible and I agree it's a war grave. When dealing with a plane or tank it's not. The metal is immaterial yet material to history, and I am sure all of them would appreciate being remembered by the discovery of both their story and the machines they fought in.  Assuming the remains are treated with respect, honor and their story told to family if it can be determined. 

There are many searching for the remains of persons and planes lost in Europe and Asia to this day, there is no disrespect there. For the families it is closure....

Fully agree Ron,

There's no such thing as a war grave regarding aircraft wrecks. If one is found it should be recovered and the crew

given a proper burial. I work as a volunteer for an organisation locating missing aircrew (the pic in my avatar shows

me with a Halifax undercarriage leg during a recovery where no MIA was involved). Although we do not recover the

crew ourselves (it's against the law) we make sure the official authorities do what they are supposed to do (but do

not want to because of the cost involved).

That Arado was recovered a few years ago, I read an article about it in the German magazine Jet&Prop about it.

Fascinating.
Cees

...assuming there is anything left of the crew inside. I highly doubt there would be anything left to recover in most aircraft or whatever pulled from the sea, especially 70 odd years later. Although, I have a rather rational approach as I don't really have regard for corporeal remains, it's simply what is left when you are gone and the universe will recycle your atoms.

Dear friends, fellow aviation enthusiasts, greetings from Athens, Greece!

I am glad you liked my story and photos on the salvaged Arado Ar196

www.ww2wrecks.com/portfolio/arado-196/

Good news is that the crew survived the ditching, bad news is that, according to credible sources, there are no immediate plans to restore this quite rare WW2 aircraft (only a couple surviving intact, one in the US, another in Bulgaria).

Greece has seen a lot of action during WW2 and many wrecks of that period vividly demonstrate the fact that this rather obscure  -compared to other fronts- theatre of operations played a crucial role in the final Allied victory.

We have featured many WW2 aircraft wrecks found in Greece at www.ww2wrecks.com such as a Wellington bomber, an SM79 torpedo bomber, a Stuka dive bomber, a Ju52 transport, a Bristol Blenheim light bomber and several others.

Incidentally, there is another Arado Ar196 in the Greek Seas, close to Irakleia island, which could become a nice dio :)

www.ww2wrecks.com/portfolio/an-arado-ar196-in-herakleia-island-greece/

All the best!