1/32 FLY Hurricane: spinning wild

quang

Indeed, Ray.

The retracting step locator under the wing root also needs some help.

Nice job! I saw that, too, although on the etched fret they do supply the lip for the pull-down step (as well as the step), it looks a lot better with the slot drilled out!

I am sure you are on top of this, but don't forget if you drop the step, it also mechanically opens the hand hold on the fuselage side.

The supplied etched part is no use as the lip is rather prominent on the real a/c. I made mine from plasticard.

I am sure you are on top of this, but don't forget if you drop the step, it also mechanically opens the hand hold on the fuselage side.

Of course!

Slot.jpg

This is awesome build, I like your style Q, I've been tweaking my Hurricane secretly, under the table , but got scared of cockpit detail :) and shelf it.

Keep up the great job,I am enjoying your progress immensely .

Cheers

Martin

Let's get back to the build. Today's topic: the radiator.

The radiator on the Mk.II is deeper than the one on the Mk.I. The other difference is a cylindrical oil cooler running in the centre of the radiator.

The difficulty lies in the fact that the oil cooler is not flush with the radiator.

It's slightly RECESSED at the front

A483B183-68E1-4429-B17D-D68A649E4353.jpg

and PROTRUDES on the back.

4DC22EFA-101A-4C7E-819A-4F8E17C32E04.jpg

That characteristic is largely ignored by kit manufacturers, Fly included. Here's how we deal with it.

The radiator halves are assembled and plasticard blanks cut out, one for the front and one for the back.image_18.jpeg

Holes are made in the plasticard blanks where the oil cooler (plastic tube) would sit.AF831B9C-F3D3-4AEF-91AB-510141B1DF7E.jpg

To replicate the radiator grille, I discarded the brass etchings supplied and use organdy cloth instead. Organdy cloth has a very fine weave, cuts easily and can be glued using stick PVA. I bought mine in a dime store.

EC3C46FB-1519-419C-A58C-83ECAF9147B0.jpg

Plasticard 'roof' and oil cooler assembled

B12073CE-07A0-4832-93B3-8C08F8387853.jpg

…painted

0DFE0A75-8D6B-43B3-8A90-6AABA1E6253C.jpg

…assembled

E4220290-6B22-48EA-A38C-227AF0C2CBB7.jpg

591FAEE3-DC9C-4A62-8AF6-67E50A672BC8.jpg

There are various struts/rods to be added but we'll leave them until after the final assembly.

That's all folks! Questions and comments are welcome as usual.

All the best,

Quang

I think he actually means "organza." It is a really fine mesh. I was introduced to this stuff 34 years ago when my wife used it to make her wedding gown. I still have some of the remnants. :) I used it in the days before PE as screen, such as mesh in my T-34 engine covers. Great stuff!

Good use of old-school methods, Quang, and that radiator looks spot on!!!

I think he actually means "organza." It is a really fine mesh. I was introduced to this stuff 34 years ago when my wife used it to make her wedding gown. I still have some of the remnants. :) I used it in the days before PE as screen, such as mesh in my T-34 engine covers. Great stuff!

Good use of old-school methods, Quang, and that radiator looks spot on!!!

You're right, Ray!  It's organza (veil variety) NOT organdy (cloth variety).

Old school methods indeed. 'Twas before any of those aftermarket stuff existed, when we modelling rovers plundered dime stores and haberdasheries in search of the perfect weave.  :rolleyes:

Q, feeling decrepit