The Arado has a floating main IP (for want of a better description) that's mounted on tubes in front of the pilot. With all the glass, the wires for the instruments are readily visible. The kit has you mount the IP to the upper canopy section and then the canopy to the fuselage.

IMG_20160503_093452.jpg

IMG_20160503_093522.jpg

This would make for quite the challenge to do the wiring in my opinion.

Edited by BloorwestSiR

After looking at the images in the Kagero books, I figured I could mount the IP to the lower canopy instead.

Fly users a section of PE for the IP frame. I decided to replace it with some 0.5mm plastic rod.

IMG_20160501_230930.jpg

IMG_20160501_230917.jpg

With a coat of RLM 66 on:

IMG_20160502_225439.jpg

At the same time, I painted the side panels I previously made.

IMG_20160502_225427.jpg

The lower section was then installed onto the fuselage.

IMG_20160502_225855.jpg

A small update. I started applying the instrument decals. I used a punch to trim them out. I then put a drop of Tamiya clear gloss in the dial face and then applied the decal. They weren't pretty to say the least.

IMG_20160505_194506.jpg

I then applied a drop of UV clear gel to each one and they're much better.

IMG_20160505_195253.jpg

IMG_20160503_233345.jpg

I then inserted and attached both side consoles.

IMG_20160505_195801.jpg

Next up will be the lower canopy and then the IP.

Carl

UV Clear Gel? What's this? Made a world of difference, but do they keep their "shape"?

That looks great, Carl! Can you tell me more about that UV clear gel?

Kev

The UV Gel is made by Gaianotes. It comes in a small bottle with a UV light pen. I put a drop of it on a palette and then apply it with a toothpick. After I've filled all the instrument faces, I shine the pen on them for 30 seconds and it's set. It keeps whatever shape it had when you put it on. So if you put a bit on, and just fill to the edge, you'll get a flat face. Add a bit more at that point and it'll give you that curved face. It's fairly thick so won't run. It was originally made for doing eyes on dolls and figures.

Hobby Search and HLJ both carry it.

The UV Gel is made by Gaianotes. It comes in a small bottle with a UV light pen. I put a drop of it on a palette and then apply it with a toothpick. After I've filled all the instrument faces, I shine the pen on them for 30 seconds and it's set. It keeps whatever shape it had when you put it on. So if you put a bit on, and just fill to the edge, you'll get a flat face. Add a bit more at that point and it'll give you that curved face. It's fairly thick so won't run. It was originally made for doing eyes on dolls and figures.

Thanks, Carl!

Kev

That sounds like a Bondic pen, works the same way. I picked one up from Home Depot, has its uses in the hobby. Good idea, i usually used Future, but it takes many many many applications to get the right look.

Don

I've just ordered some of the Gaianotes UV Gel from Hobby Search (I couldn't find a mention of it on the HLJ site). A bit pricey when you factor in shipping, but it was out-of-stock at most other places. Plus, if it works as well for me as it clearly does for you, Carl, it'll be worth it!

Kev

Well, i had to give the Bondic UV glue a try, and it does work well. Does add a lot of clarity to the gauges. I bought a kit from Home Depot for $20.00, seen them at Canadian tire and Wallyworld, includes the light and 4gm of glue.

I've just ordered some of the Gaianotes UV Gel from Hobby Search (I couldn't find a mention of it on the HLJ site). A bit pricey when you factor in shipping, but it was out-of-stock at most other places. Plus, if it works as well for me as it clearly does for you, Carl, it'll be worth it!

Kev

Here's what you get Kev:

IMG_20160508_220504.jpg

And here are the instructions:

IMG_20160508_220639.jpg

Sorry about the glare. One thing to point out. On my set, the batteries in the pen were dead so I carefully took it apart and replaced them. Also, you don't need a lot of the gel so I would only dispense a small drop at a time.

Well, i had to give the Bondic UV glue a try, and it does work well. Does add a lot of clarity to the gauges. I bought a kit from Home Depot for $20.00, seen them at Canadian tire and Wallyworld, includes the light and 4gm of glue.

I'll have to take a look at the Bondic pen. I wonder if it would work for gluing canopies?

Crappy Tire is just around the corner from me so I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Carl