Good find with that tool, Carl! Looks very useful, and superior to simply using a cotton bud. It's difficult to get just the right amount of thinners involved with a cotton bud (too dry, and you drag the filler out of the seam, too wet, and you wash it away), and there's always stray fibres getting caught up in the softened filler. I'll have to see if I can locate one.

Kev

Yup!! Canopy and masking work look great, Carl. Shouldn't be long now. That tool you've shown us looks familiar, can't remember where or why....I like the results it gives with the thinner on  the surfacer.

Don

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Bravo on the canopy framing! :thumbsup:

The tape, of course, the crew left it there as they posted a note.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

I love it !......Harv :popcorn:

Thanks Harv!

Lovely work(despite the stray tape)! I have the same tool!

Thanks Shaka. I've had it in the tool box for a couple years but when I first tried it, i couldn't figure it out. It was only more recently when I found an article about how to use it that it made sense. I wish the Japanese would include some bilingual instructions sometimes.

Good find with that tool, Carl! Looks very useful, and superior to simply using a cotton bud. It's difficult to get just the right amount of thinners involved with a cotton bud (too dry, and you drag the filler out of the seam, too wet, and you wash it away), and there's always stray fibres getting caught up in the softened filler. I'll have to see if I can locate one.

Kev

Now that I've figured it out, it definitely works better than a cotton bud like you said Kev. You can also use it while the Mr Surfacrer is wet. I found it helps there too. You still need a quick sanding sometimes but with a fine grit and that really saves a lot of the panel detail. 

Yup!! Canopy and masking work look great, Carl. Shouldn't be long now. That tool you've shown us looks familiar, can't remember where or why....I like the results it gives with the thinner on  the surfacer.

Don

Thanks Don! It really does make filling seams easier. I don't know if Wheels and Wings has them but it wouldn't surprise me seeing how well stocked they are.

Wow, Carl ... Cockpit it terrific, and the whole impression of scale and detail is really impressive.

Jim

Thanks Jim! I really was worried about how it would all turn out.

Very nice work! Looks great! :)

HÃ¥kan

Thanks Hakan!

Carl

Bravo on the canopy framing! :thumbsup:

The tape, of course, the crew left it there as they posted a note.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

That explanation works for me. :)

That looks really good Carl, well worth all the thought and effort that you've put into it.

Max

Thanks Max. Your Anson is coming along really well too. 

Super work on the cockpit Carl, interested to see how your approach the prominent detail on the outer cockpit framing.

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy! Actually the framing was smooth and the prominent silver screws were flush fitting. Fly give you decals for these but I'm not sure how they'll behave. Worst case, I'll leave the framing black.

Carl

Well, after a short break I'm back to report on more progress.

I've masked over the canopy again, this time covering the framing as it'll remain black.

IMG_20160529_220712.jpg

I then tackled a small alignment issue I had. While putting Mr Surfacer on the starboard nacelle/wing joint, I wondered why it was didn't fit as well as it had initially. Then I noticed that I had either glued it on crooked or it has moved after I clamped it to dry. With a bit of trepidation, I snapped it off the wing (no other way to describe it) and thankfully the damage was minimal.

IMG_20160529_220726.jpg

The plastic at the trailing edge tore a bit but it'll be covered up by the nacelle.

Here you can see the front of the nacelle was pointed out by about 3mm so very skewed looking.

IMG_20160529_221220.jpg

After a quick clean up I re-glued the nacelle on, straight this time :)

IMG_20160529_221503.jpg