"Aizu" tape? Where are you hearing about/getting this stuff? Anyway, masking looks really good.

Shaka, Aizu tape is a brand of masking tape from Japan. It comes in many different widths which is the big appeal. The thinnest is 0.4mm wide which i use for masking the stripes on ejection seat pull handles. They're about Â¥200 for a roll from Japan

So YOU bought all the Aizu from Wheels&wings!!! It'll look great after painting and removing the masking on the canopy. That's one serious clamp!!

Don

It wasn't me Don!  

The clamp is nice because I can adjust the space between the jaws and therefore the amount of pressure it's applying.

Quite a masking job there Carl but I like your technique. The shot of the Arado on your jig shows off her beautiful lines a treat.

Max

Thanks Max! You're right that now that I've got a nacelle on, you can really see the lines of the plane coming through.

Nice masking! :)

HÃ¥kan

Thanks HÃ¥kan! A bit of a pain but worth it.

Carl

Haven't checked in on your build in a while, and boy was I in for a surprise! The pit looks superb! One question, did you get to Canadian Trash or any of the other places mentioned for the UV glue? Just wondering how that worked out (I have a CT at the end of the street and am hoping not to have to ask any of the staff what aisle I'll find it in...)

Darren

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Super job of masking the canopy and looking forward to the paint starting to fly after the the nacelles are on and cleaned up a bit.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Carl

Super job of masking the canopy and looking forward to the paint starting to fly after the the nacelles are on and cleaned up a bit.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter. I don't mind masking too much since there's usually a great reveal after.

So onto some progress on the build.

Even with my efforts to improve the alignment of all the nose parts, there was still the need for a bit of filler. I used Mr Surfacer 500 for that and finally figured out what this tool I've had for a few years was for.

IMG_20160519_211835.jpg

It's to help smooth out putty both during application and after. The tip is a soft foam that you dip in Mr Color Thinner and then use to smooth out the putty.

IMG_20160519_211854.jpg

You go from this:

IMG_20160519_211022.jpg

To this:

IMG_20160519_211820.jpg

It really helps prevent the loss of surface detail due to sanding. I still had to do a bit of sanding for the final coat of Mr Surfacer but that was with 1000 grit sandpaper.

Once i had the filling done, I sprayed a coat of RLM 66 on the canopy rails.

IMG_20160521_000355.jpg

Once that was dry, I did a coat of semi gloss black. The canopy frames are black with silver rivets. Fly give you decals for these but I'm a bit wary that they might not conform well so I figured the black base will help.

IMG_20160521_003239.jpg

The end result:

IMG_20160521_004310.jpg

Somehow, I've managed to get a piece of tape on the inside of the canopy. Not much I can do about that. There's also a small but of fogging from the CA.

IMG_20160521_004324.jpg