Silver Wings Hawker Demon, RAAF. FINISHED.

ericg

Thanks very much for the nice comments guys, it is much appreciated.

I have started to get some of the smaller details of the build sorted out now that I have the wings on. Part of building any multi winged model is deciding when to glue on the top wing, due to the lack of access around the cockpit area, and the much more fragile state of the model. This is certainly no Wingnut Wings shake and bake snap fit model and I believe that my efforts in getting this one on, in one piece and aligned was more arse than class considering that I drilled the outer wing strut attachment points by eye (taking into consideration that they lean outwards and slope forward) and also I didn't use a jig, preferring to trust my instincts when fitting it together. I had planned on doing some touch ups with the silver paint at the base of each strut and took the opportunity to add some small detail to some of the struts at the same time, to be painted when performing the touch up operation.

First up was the fuel lines, running along the front of each inner aft strut. I used a suitable gauge copper wire, and secured it with clips made from thin tin.

IMG_1908_zps6sg8zl9l.jpg

Next up was the pitot tubes. The kit gives a very flat piece of photo etch to fiddle with in this area and I determined from an early stage that this part was not to make an appearance on this model. Considering that I wanted to run some tubing in this area, it seemed like an ideal part to scratchbuild. I used more thin tin to fabricate the part that wraps around the strut, carefully cutting it into an X shape, followed by some plastic card that was drilled to accept brass tubing as the pitots. I then ran some copper wire down the strut and secured it with tin clamps.

IMG_1907_zpsz6oxjd7q.jpg

Close examination of my references showed that the RAAF machines looked to have been fitted with machine guns that had flash suppressors. I turned up some brass in my lathe, also making a venturi to fit to the bottom of the fuselage.

IMG_1901_zpsjlrc2lf7.jpg

IMG_1902_zpsl9a5mluz.jpg

Thanks guys.

Some more work. I have glued on most of the small details, as I really like to see them in place before the rest of the weathering will continue on a model. 

Using some brass rod, I bent up some fuel tank vents. It was the presence of 2 of these on the top wing which led me to investigate further as to why there were two, which resulted in having to modify the top wing for 2 fuel tanks instead of the one depicted in the kit. I think these will make for excellent hooks to catch a carelessly placed camera strap when attending shows.  

IMG_1944_zpsbaz4asgb.jpg

I attached the exhausts. In this picture is visible some of the effects that I have applied to the metal cowling. ( I still haven't decided on a colour of the prop yet!) 

IMG_1942_zpsg6zwn01a.jpg 

Not long to go now. I am looking forward to the rigging stage.

IMG_1945_zps2zdnkyet.jpg

Damned exceptional work, Eric.  Great vocabulary of skills, techniques, materials, and tools used on this build.  You are just one hellova Jedi Master.  Many thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,

Mark