1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

Thanks very much for the taking the time out to do up the little tutorial, I'm sure that this will benefit many more than just me :) The tank and throttle housing are just exquisite. I can't imagine the amount of time invested in the drawing up the artwork for the PE, but I guess they are actually saving you time in many respects now.

Another quick question if I may.... How do you clean up your PE pieces so neatly after removing them from the sheet. I'm asking as right now I have a whole heap of your cockpit bezels that need cleaning up before I mount them :)

Thanks again Peter. As always I can't wait for your next post.

Craig

Drawings of said primer brackets uploaded for you, ohh and a couple of erm extras,

see

http://s536.photobucket.com/user/taylortony/library/Spitfire%20MKx1x/Airscale%20cockpit?sort=4&page=1

have lots more, but as they are listed by drawing numbers ( as in thousands ) it is a case of trawling through them, the primer is the 19 but will I assume be standard for the Griffon

Drawings of said primer brackets uploaded for you, ohh and a couple of erm extras,

see

http://s536.photobucket.com/user/taylortony/library/Spitfire%20MKx1x/Airscale%20cockpit?sort=4&page=1

have lots more, but as they are listed by drawing numbers ( as in thousands ) it is a case of trawling through them, the primer is the 19 but will I assume be standard for the Griffon

Tony - if I closed my eyes and dreamt of the drawing I was looking for to make that Ki-Gas pump this would be it..

WIP205_zpsdwu9tomi.jpg

you are an absolute star - thank you

thank you also to Don who also sent me some wonderful material I will be using on this, and elsewhere

I love this place.....

I have booked today off to get a long Bank Holiday weekend, so hope to be back later with the finished part :)

TTFN

Peter

thank you - such kind words, and Chuck I laughed out loud at that picture :) - trust me, I feel like that A LOT around here..

I got started on the Ki-Gas priming pump now I had those great references - first thing was to scale them down to 1/18 and cut out the linear parts so I could lay the part out unfolded as it were

..this is the target - note the complex shape of the pressing and the lip all the way around the radiused flat part...

WIP215_zpsstp7ku5a.jpg

..and laying it out on thick card to act as a template..

WIP206_zpsqiatrweg.jpg

..made up the template and annealed some litho to makeit softer to work around it..

WIP207_zpsxt9wub9v.jpg

..taped it down and used a cocktail stick to work it over the template...

WIP208_zpsuf43dwdy.jpg

..after more bending, drilling and shaping it was finished as near as I could get it..

WIP209_zpsqzl3ewov.jpg

..the pumping handle was some brass tube and square stock soldered together and shaped..

WIP210_zpskccgp4cs.jpg

..there is a funny split pipe at the bottom of the pump so soldered some tube at acute angles and added some nuts - another bit of tube makes the main body of the unit..

WIP211_zpsedtzyshb.jpg

..drilled out some bolts and filed them down (this took me aaaaages to get right - note to self I need some micro nuts, not to try and drill holes in bolt heads...) to get the final fittings and mounting components so the whole assembly takes shape..

WIP212_zpspm7ggctq.jpg

..and the pump mounted to the plate - when I painted the plate I tried some auto etch-primer to try and stop the paint flaking off it,,, the primer is pretty thick and I would prefer to decant it and airbrush it but I have no idea what to thin it with?

WIP214_zpsbyskyjqd.jpg

WIP213_zpspdpgpjyw.jpg

..will try and finish it tomorrow..

Another quick question if I may.... How do you clean up your PE pieces so neatly after removing them from the sheet. I'm asking as right now I have a whole heap of your cockpit bezels that need cleaning up before I mount them :)

Craig

Hi Craig - this is a nice easy one :) I just hold the part in tweezers or pliers and use a thin, fine sanding stick. The one tip I do have is to turn the part over and get rid of the tags as you see them on the back of the part - if the back is right, the front will be perfect :)

TTFN
Peter