1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

Ok took some pictures of the 19 cockpit at work for you today as they are about the same, note some instruments will be modern equivalents etc. I have uploaded at 1500 by 800 but if you are specific what you want I can go larger, see

http://s536.photobucket.com/user/taylortony/library/Spitfire%20MKx1x/Airscale%20cockpit?sort=4&page=1

Edited by TonyT

evening folks :)

Arrggghhhh, my eyeballs hurt. Stop it, no I mean keep going!!

Don't want to seem churlish, but is the red handle thingy a bit low/short compared to the bottle if you look at the photos of the real thing?

Thanks Don - you may be right - I based it on a photo of just the bottle and lever (as a replacement part) rather than the one in the airframe so it may be different - either way I won't sweat it as I am not tempted to make another!

Ok took some pictures of the 19 cockpit at work for you today as they are about the same, note some instruments will be modern equivalents etc. I have uploaded at 1500 by 800 but if you are specific what you want I can go larger, see

http://s536.photobucket.com/user/taylortony/library/Spitfire%20MKx1x/Airscale%20cockpit?sort=4&page=1

My word, thank you Tony they are superb and really useful -when you say 'at work', I can't imagine what it must be like to 'work' with these legendary aircraft - I would pay them to do it, let alone them pay me :). Loads of details for me to get stuck into..

..as far as building one in my house, I have made what turns out to be a windscreen de-icer pump.. seen here as the brass tube mounted on a square plate...

WIP170_zpsr2iaupqk.jpg

..I started with a group of parts sourced to try and re-create it.. nuts & washers from scale hardware, tube from albion alloy and a bit of rod at the top with a hole drilled in it so I can turn the handle on the dremel..

WIP177_zpslqtgaphd.jpg

..I made the mounting plate from litho, thinned down some of the nuts and worked the assembly.. I drilled out the main core at 90 degreesso I could mount the tap sticking out of the side..

WIP178_zpsn4btn7qg.jpg

..and put it all together..

WIP179_zpsszhywxey.jpg

WIP180_zpss7stb0uj.jpg

..and this is where it sits on the sidewall..

WIP181_zps5v91hinx.jpg

..and buried behind the seat :)

WIP182_zpss2vfgvty.jpg

WIP183_zpsmgsggndr.jpg

still it was an enjoyable little excercise, now to pick another component from the sidewall to replicate :)

TTFN

Peter

Sublime precision creation there Peter.

Can't wait to see all the pipework installed and connected up - although are you painting next or going the bare metal route?

Edited by Chek

Peter, it's a shame that you'll put all this lovely detail into some injection moulded styrene fuselage. I'd rather see you build the complete bird in full metal...

I really hope to see one of your masterpieces in the flesh some time in the future. But till then keep the pics coming!

Cheers

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

Looking at your latest stunning images Peter, you are missing a hole in the seat on the right hand side near the top, this was used for attaching the control locks and is in the photos of the seat I did, see

_MG_5782mk14drawing.jpg

Edited by TonyT

I am loving these "mini models" you're doing here Peter. It always astounds me how all these simple little bits can come together to produce something so complex and sharp.

I was wondering if you wouldn't mind posting a photo or even a quick tutorial on how you use your dremel to machine little details like handles etc at some stage?

I'm just about to embark on the new cockpit for my B-17 and I am leaning on your work heavily for inspiration here! :)

Cheers,

Craig

I will have a look, it is a ki-gas pump btw

Thanks Tony- much appreciated :)

In the meantime I decided to have a go at the windscreen de-icer tank and control - it is the oblong tank seen here and the control is the folded plate with a black circle & intricate lever on it on the sidewall above the tank...

WIP185_zpszhjeeqe4.jpg

..first step was to score and crack out a disc of litho after drilling all the bolt holes - I then used this as the template to drill all the matching holes in a sheet of litho the width of the tank..   there is also a bit of balsa as a core for the assembly to be built around...

WIP186_zpsdpbten9v.jpg

..after folding and adding ends to the tank, I folded some brass strips as the retaining straps - the tape helps me get them even and tight to the structure to mark where the bend will go..

WIP187_zpsfxxekl1u.jpg

..and with the straps added...

WIP188_zps5xafzlma.jpg

..I turned the filler cap and a pipe outlet onthe dremel and added the bolts and fixtures & fittings..

WIP190_zpswko4yrpt.jpg

WIP189_zpsdkntrodm.jpg

..for the folded plate the control lever is mounted on, I marked out the dimensions on litho and set out fixing holes..

WIP191_zpsoi2gabxi.jpg

..I then forgot to take photo's until I had finished, but the lever is shaped litho and albion alloy tube etc..

WIP192_zpsmaflgvmx.jpg

..and the two parts together..

WIP194_zps3o4onyfk.jpg

WIP193_zpsjshhenl5.jpg

..still more parts to go on this sidewall before I can start painting & plumbing..

TTFN

Peter