Do Helicopter Large Scale Models Sell?

Royboy

Tamiya makes helos?

Tamiya started 1/35 scale off with motorised tanks in the late 1960s, this scale being deemed the right one to accommodate a 1.5v motor for "tank racing"***. That's what I was told. 1/35 AFV stuff then became "serious", expensive, unmotorised models and lots of other firms joined in and offered army stuff in that scale, making it *the* creepy crawly scale.

Sadly, aircraft with any army connection have also been swallowed by the 1/35 black hole, which is most helicopters.

Joyful memories

Tony

***All my Tamiya gear from 1970-73 had motors: Tiger I, Jagdpanther, Centurion, even a Hanomag. The same kits are still out there without the little motors, gearbox and battery compartment.

Without a caliper and a dimension table in hand, i doubt that John Doe can tell if a model is 1/32 or 1/35. :)

You're probably right Nicolas, but I am not called John, nor Doe, and 10% is not insignificant IMHO.

Tony, the first Tamiya tank, a Tiger, was not actually 1/35 (remember the "scale to fit the box" times ;) ? ), but when they decided for the next one, they found out that 1/35 was the closest to the first kit's scale, et voilà !

Then this bad choice was carried over to ships with 1/350 :BANGHEAD2:

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Hi

Just some thoughts :

The 1/35 CH-47D from Trumpeter is now sold out in a lot of shops

The 1/35 AH-6 from Dragon is also very difficult to find

For some years, Trumpeter told me I can chose 2 models from there range (after some service), whatever it is.

one of my choices was a Mi-8. they were very embarassed as they did not have one in inventory, and injected a new batch.

You all know how the revell UH-34 was difficult to get years long.

So they sell. Probably not fast, but do not forget some of the armour guys have also interest in helicopters for a different reason. Hence the 1/35 choice. 

cheers

Norbert

I don't see many on the tables at shows, so even if sales were good, they don't seem to get built. I'd love a 1/32 Sea King, as long as it came with Canadian bits. I built a Hasegawa 1/48 Sea King into a Canadian CH-124 and it was a lot of work to convert it.

Brad

10% is definitely significant for this grumpy old git. Look at a 35th figure next to a 32nd scale one, all wrong, wrong, wrong. Part of the reason for having a common scale is to make a comparison between things, otherwise you might just as well mix any scale together. Which is fine, if that is your preference. But for me, no, commonality is very important.

Tim

I don't see many on the tables at shows, so even if sales were good, they don't seem to get built.

Brad

True Brad, all the shows I have been to over the years, it is always the smallest category, a lot of times with only one or two in the category.

Myself, I love them, even though I have only ever built one.... But when done well, a good helo model is bloody impressive!

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Guest Peterpools

My preferences for helicopters are the whirlybirds from the 1950's and if they were available in 32nd scale, I could see myself building them

Sikorsky H-19 (H55)

Sikorsky H-34

Bell H-13 Sioux

Kaman HH-43 Huskie

Piasecki HUP

Hiller OH-23 Raven

I'm sure there are more :mental:

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

It isn't so much the people, although there are differences in proportion as well as just height that make them look odd together, so much as items of equipment like rifles, jerry cans, helmets, that don't match. They don't match.