Kitty Hawk Models OS2U Kingfisher *COMPLETE*

Out2gtcha

I'm sure I speak for the majority of the brethern here: thanks to Glen for going ahead and releasing such an interesting subject in our scale, and for providing a shot for you to share with us! Really appreciate having a look at how this beauty goes together! Thanks to you both for sharing this build with us!

Cheers

Alan

Ps: I know I've been going on and on about a Draaken, but I really hope KHM will bring us a few more seaplanes in 32nd scale!! ;)

Now on the list for assembly was the engine exhaust...............

KHM did a really nice job here IMHO, as the OS2Us exhaust is quite complex actually, and getting it right is not easy I would not think when I came to molding. There are not only a lot of curves and loopbacks, but seams on the sides of the exhausts as well.

If your curious, here is the thing I have discovered about KHM new gen of LSP kits:

- Accuracy (generally) seem to be there, and there are not too many heinous errors in shape in this new generation of Kitty Hawk kits
- KHM prices their kits to complete, and you get a LOT of modeling bang for your buck.
- The fit is overall very good in most places.  And if something doesn fit, dry cleaning it up, and getting rid of any flash (and leading into my next point)
- KHM kits fit nice but do have some flash in places, and if your expecting a Tamiya kit for $65 your out of luck. 

To this end, I did and will likely have to do a lot of cleanup of parts with flash, but for the price and molding quality of this kit, I really don't mind. 

But I digress..................the engine exhaust was completed with Tamiya extra thin cement:

2015-11-26%2001.11.25.jpg

2015-11-28%2016.52.17.jpg

On the #5 cylinder shoot off pipe that intersects the main starboard exhaust, I also drilled it out a bit from the main side as well:

2015-11-28%2016.52.30.jpg

2015-11-29%2018.17.31.jpg

I also worked on the rear gun and gunners station a bit. This whole thing is REALLY nice IMHO. PE for the sliding track grill, as well as the swivel mount for the machine gun:

2015-11-29%2018.18.28.jpg

2015-11-29%2018.18.36.jpg

2015-11-29%2018.19.18.jpg

Just all dry fit together ATM:

2015-11-29%2018.19.43.jpg

MORE...................

Lastly for the weekend I worked on assembling the main float. This is REALLY nicely detailed IMHO (broken record now I know) but VERY delicate as well. I pretty much broke the 4 supporting rig rods in between the forward two float supports right out of the gate.  Not that big of a deal actually, as they eventually dropped back into place for me to glue:

2015-11-29%2018.25.03.jpg

2015-11-29%2018.25.16.jpg

I dry fit the float to fuselage after I broke the supports, and this thing will be a great looking little model when done:

2015-11-28%2018.03.02.jpg

2015-11-28%2018.04.04.jpg

2015-11-28%2018.04.27.jpg

A little bit of Tamiya extra thin solved the support rod problem, and I will sand these smooth later. Lesson learned with these and the grab rings on the forward float support; BE EXTRA CAREFUL:

2015-11-29%2018.24.45.jpg

Thats all for now, cheers till later!

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Some mighty nice progress on the Kingfisher. I'm very impressed with the level of detail and part fir from your photos and narrative. I completely agree for the cost of KHM, it's a lot of bang for the buck.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools