Kitty Hawk Models OS2U Kingfisher *COMPLETE*

Out2gtcha

Guest Smitty44

I am looking forward to this kit and will definitely be buying one.  I see there will be a little fill work to do with rivets, IIRC the fuse and wings were welded not riveted. 

120929011114397143.jpge

That's what people were debating a while back Ron,  I remember Glen had it at the Nats and people were going back and forth about rivets or welds and DanaBell approved of the kit.  ...and when it comes to those types of aircraft he is the man. Me I am a jet guy so while I will be getting the kit I am indifferent. I tried to find the thread but to no avail..

found it   http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=57304&page=2

apparantly Dana's book on the Kingfisher shows plenty of rivets,but once aging I am indifferent just trying to help!!

Edited by Smitty44

Wow, 2 pages of responses and no building yet!   :lol:     Thanks very much for the support guys. I too think this one will be great kit. As to the rivets, it is true that the model is NOT festooned with rivets like some kits, and certainly less than your average kit has...............

As Nicolas indicated, if Dana Bell gives his stamp of approval, Im ok with it!     It appears the float IS more or less festooned with (raised) rivets, but the fuse is not. I will have a look at a couple more things tonight re: the kit..........

I plan on cracking on and starting this baby tomorrow

Again, thanks for the encouragement, and the kind words guys! 

A Soviet Kingfisher?   Didn't expect that...!

Tim W.

Me either!  (Im not sure how or IF its accurate)   Im shocked actually, as even though its a simple gray and white scheme, I was a bit taken aback by how attractive I thought it looked in that scheme!

I plan on cracking on and starting this baby tomorrow

Maybe even tonight!!!

Edited by Out2gtcha

Thanks Iain!

You are doing very well so far - exemplary, even.

Avoid the FAA scheme - like most British schemes, it sucks.

lol - Actually for MY OS2U, was thinking of this very scheme!       A Sky S underside and camo top would look a bit nice eh?

I still am not quite sure what Glen wants for a scheme on this one...................

Edited by Out2gtcha

Guest Smitty44

Thanks Iain!

lol - Actually for MY OS2U, was thinking of this very scheme!       A Sky S underside and camo top would look a bit nice eh?

I still am not quite sure what Glen wants for a scheme on this one...................

Found this....

kingfisherRussian.jpg

Guest Smitty44

Coooooooooooooooool!  At least we know a soviet OS2U really did exist!      I read on the instructions sheet, something about it being based on an X Italian ship or something to that effect?

There were several profiles I saw but only one picture. One profile was even of a green-ish aircraft 

Edited by Smitty44

Thanks again guys!   On to some actual progress then..............

Got a small start on things last night.  Starting off with the engine, which OOB is REALLY nice actually...............to the point where there is SO much stuff on it, that unless you are leaving the cowls off, everything behind the cylinders will be hidden.

After some discussion w/Glen I am going with the box top option, 102. This scheme has light blue upper wings on the box top, but the instructions specify yellow wing uppers..............so yellow it is!

2015-11-23%2016.27.17.jpg

However, not all 100% cherries and rainbows, as one thing that drives me batty about KHM small parts has cropped up again. The ignition ring around the engine is exceptionally delicate..............like REALLY small and delicate.   Yet somehow sprue gates/connections to this part number 6:

Sprue%20gates.jpg

And yes, I broke the damn ignition ring too:

2015-11-25%2022.56.58.jpg

This is really not a HUGE deal, but very frustrating, as a part this thin and frail should have had 2 or 3 at MOST.   Ill repair and clean it up before sticking it on the engine.  Moving on then.......

The OOB engine is again REALLY nice, but there is a black baffle between the cylinders that will block most if not ALL the view of the rest of the engine, so If you planning on keeping the cowls on, you wont need to do any of the work behind the baffles except the parts that hold the engine mount, and of course the exhaust that can be seen behind the open cowl baffles:

2015-11-26%2000.08.23.jpg

Speaking of exhausts, I got most of the major sections of that done last night as well. The exhausts are really nicely molded with very open ends, and even have the seem molding well produced (but the seems will take some cleaning up after using Tamiya liquid cement on them):

2015-11-26%2001.11.25.jpg

I also got in a TINY bit of a "Russ mood" last night and snipped the fuse off of its sprue gates, and taped it together.  She is not quite as big as I thought she was going to be, but still a VERY nice size in 32nd. 

Here she is with my A6M5 paint test bed:

2015-11-25%2023.40.37.jpg

I also took some time to break out the Tamiya putty, and as I wasnt sure which if any ejection marks would be visible on the end product, I filled all the ones on the inside of the fuse, which really wastn that many, and overall, they were not bad or really deep, so probably could have been left alone, but I chose to fill:

2015-11-26%2000.10.19.jpg

Thats all for the Turkey day installment of the OS2U!   I will be back working on the Kingfisher before the family comes over and I have to get on with fryin some Turkey!

Cheers all!

Edited by Out2gtcha