Poll: Any Interest in a 1/32 F-22?

LSP_Kevin

Any interest in a 1/32 F-22?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Any interest in a 1/32 F-22?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

A Japanese modelling magazine gave away a 1/144th scale F-22 one time with a superb what-if F-22 in theat lovely JASDF two tone Blue camo.

Could be a good option, because the USAF standard paint job is not so interesting for very obvious reasons.

However, if the Chinese ave developed a stealth killing radar, then maybe the whole purpose of a dull paint job may disappear and the F-22 becomes the parakeet of the USAF.

Interesting responses here. I voted maybe because I do kinda like the F-22, just not sure I like it enough to want a 1/32nd scale version.

I think there are a lot of overlooked aircraft that have way more 'personality' than the Raptor and, lest I be accused of being euro-centric, my wish list would include decent kits of the F-5 / T-38 family (Including the F-20), A-37 Dragonfly, F-89, F-100F, F-101, F-102, F-106, FJ-2/3/4 Fury.

As for non-U.S aircraft, well, Jaguar GR.1/3 and T.2/T.4, Buccaneer, Sea Vixen, F-4 Phantom K/M/GR.1, Harrier GR.1/3 and (AV-8A) SAAB Draken, Viggen, Tunnan.

All these aircraft, to me at least, have a lot more 'eye-appeal' and, without a doubt, way more marking/decal options than the F-22. Having said that, I'd relish the challenge of replicating that odd metallic sheen that the F-22 camo has and, if you wanted to be a little different, you could always paint it as Starscream from the Transformers movie.....

Apart from the Revell 1/72 scale F-117 (an undeniably quirky design) and F-22, which I built for my son when he was enthused about them from old SEGA video games getting on for twenty years ago, stealth aircraft just seem characterless to me.

Even though I collect photos from the internet and have catalogued almost all the F-22s and F-35s and B-2s extant as a historical record, they just don't appeal to me as subjects to model. Of course, our tastes change and develop over time so that may not always be the case, but at present my interest in modelling modernity ends with the F-15 and Typhoon/EF2000.

Edited by Chek

Seems at this point in the voting, its kind of a bust......................If I were a manufacturer, I would take away from this that (and I probably WOULD buy one if produced well)  even in our ever so tiny niche we have here, there is not enough even here to justify a 32nd scale F-22 I would think.

Although if I were a manufacturer I would also take away from this that there probably ARE some planes out there that we are missing in 32nd that would fill gaps and would sell like hotcakes.

Edited by Out2gtcha

The hottest and only 5th gen fighter?

You bet ...because, America!

Lot of Euro-centric prejudice in the responses.

Maybe because they cant afford to build anything similar. ;)

I like the F-22A and although the F-35 initially repulsed me - it is starting to grow on me.

If you think about it WWII props are very very crude and low tech although 1939-45 fighters is my preferred era and modeling subject.

Jon ;)

I should imagine that most if not all people on here are voting no not because they've got a "Euro-centric prejudice" or because it's "America" or because we can't afford our own 5th gen fighter but because they find it a bit bland looking.......so that's a bit of a stupid response and says more about your way of thinking than anything else.  For a start the UK and other countries are involved in the F35 and not all the people saying no on here are from Europe.  There's is actually some from America too if you look and some from Europe are voting yes.

I should imagine that just about everyone voting no likes plenty of other American jets and aircraft (like myself).   I want a Brewster Buffalo in 1/24th scale for a start plus a new tool larger SR71.  So don't jump to conclusions so quickly as it makes you look prejudiced. 

Agree with Sea Venom. F-22 is interesting from a systems perspective - albeit lacking the passive sensors and long range ramjet missiles of Eurofighter and Rafale - but as dull as cardboard from an aesthetic perspective.

I'd love to see many more very late 1950s-mid 1970s American Cold War jets. But Soviet and European too.

Tony

The hottest and only 5th gen fighter?

You bet ...because, America!

Lot of Euro-centric prejudice in the responses.

Maybe because they cant afford to build anything similar. ;)

I like the F-22A and although the F-35 initially repulsed me - it is starting to grow on me.

If you think about it WWII props are very very crude and low tech although 1939-45 fighters is my preferred era and modeling subject.

Jon ;)

Yeah, thanks for that insight.  clown.gif

Seems at this point in the voting, its kind of a bust......................If I were a manufacturer, I would take away from this that (and I probably WOULD buy one if produced well)  even in our ever so tiny niche we have here, there is not enough even here to justify a 32nd scale F-22 I would think.

Although if I were a manufacturer I would also take away from this that there probably ARE some planes out there that we are missing in 32nd that would fill gaps and would sell like hotcakes.

Yeah agreed. A well-produced kit would certainly grab my interest, but modern jets are rather large in 1/32, and the F-22 is on the larger end of modern jets. I've got a few of them...but I assume I'm not alone in having to be choosy in which jets get the 1/32 love.

If we're talking something modern that would sell like hotcakes if well-produced - I have to think the F-14 would be a shoe-in.

Interesting to see the different views out there. I reckon a model of the f-22 would be the coolest thing in my display cabinet, and I have all sorts currently in there. To all the naysayers, I wish 100 more variants of 109 upon you.image.jpg1_zpssil0d625.jpg

Thanks Eric, but no and no (to the 109s) ;)

Hubert

PS: and no, I will not start my list of personal wishes ...

Edited by MostlyRacers

I should imagine that most if not all people on here are voting no not because they've got a "Euro-centric prejudice" or because it's "America" or because we can't afford our own 5th gen fighter but because they find it a bit bland looking.......so that's a bit of a stupid response and says more about your way of thinking than anything else. For a start the UK and other countries are involved in the F35 and not all the people saying no on here are from Europe. There's is actually some from America too if you look and some from Europe are voting yes."

I should imagine that just about everyone voting no likes plenty of other American jets and aircraft (like myself). I want a Brewster Buffalo in 1/24th scale for a start plus a new tool larger SR71. So don't jump to conclusions so quickly as it makes you look prejudiced.

Oh come on now!

That was tounge in cheek!

Do I need to put a sarc tag on text?

I did put a winking smiley face though.

"Lighten up, Francis!" (Stripes)

The F22 is the the pentultimate example of the only 5th gen fighter of ANY nation.

For that reason alone it would be nice to have a kit of it.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." And "there is no accounting for taste."

Apparently you are way too easily offended.

That sometimes happens when an arrow comes close to the mark.

Your response to my "America" line just proved my point.

Although in jest my comments still provoked.

And I look prejudiced? Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Signed,

Team America World Police

Edited by fastzx

It looks like some of us like this plane as a 1/32 kit and some of us don't. I don't find it so compelling that I can't live without one. There are so many more that I'd buy before this one. However, I can see that a manufacturer could make money at this.

If they didn't pay for vast amounts of tooling and did a short run kit, they might make a profit at this. Some people produce kits just because it is a labor of love, an obsession that they need to satisfy. Not just Sir Peter, but lots of us find great joy in the creative process. If they love this enough to make a kit, there are people who would buy one.

I just hope that some other producer shares my obsessions and comes up with my favorites. I hope that each of you find a way to get your favorites as well.

Tnarg

I should imagine that most if not all people on here are voting no not because they've got a "Euro-centric prejudice" or because it's "America" or because we can't afford our own 5th gen fighter but because they find it a bit bland looking.......so that's a bit of a stupid response and says more about your way of thinking than anything else. For a start the UK and other countries are involved in the F35 and not all the people saying no on here are from Europe. There's is actually some from America too if you look and some from Europe are voting yes."

I should imagine that just about everyone voting no likes plenty of other American jets and aircraft (like myself). I want a Brewster Buffalo in 1/24th scale for a start plus a new tool larger SR71. So don't jump to conclusions so quickly as it makes you look prejudiced.

Oh come on now!

That was tounge in cheek!

Do I need to put a sarc tag on text?

I did put a winking smiley face though.

"Lighten up, Francis!" (Stripes)

The F22 is the the pentultimate example of the only 5th gen fighter of ANY nation.

For that reason alone it would be nice to have a kit of it.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." And "there is no accounting for taste."

Apparently you are way too easily offended.

That sometimes happens when an arrow comes close to the mark.

Your response to my "America" line just proved my point.

Although in jest my comments still provoked.

And I look prejudiced? Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Signed,

Team America World Police

Are you related to Larry David?