What's your bet on the next 1/24 th Airfix kit ?

Erwin

i hope it is a new tool Spit, but I would go for the MkIa or a MkVb

i would suggest they steer clear of the IX lest they get compared to the Tamiya IX in 1/32

if they do go head to head with that, they have to make sure it is head and shoulders better than the 1/32 kit in terms of detail (I am taking that it is accurate as a given here)

i think they *could* achieve this given what I have seen with their Typhoon, but the earlier marks just seem a safer commercial bet to me

does that make sense?

Re- tooling at this scale I think wouldn't happen Its just so much more expensive and wouldn't bring in the expected sales.

I would If it was me do a Naval subject they haven't done one yet maybe a Sea Fury or a Fairey Firefly, the difficulty with the Firefly is that the MK1 is very ugly and everyone likes the Korean MK4/5. The cockpit glazing moulding would test their abilities I would suggest they tackle that bit first!

If they were to do a Spitfire again I would suggest they make It modular so that each year they could bring out a different version from the MK1 to ultimately the MK24 Think how much fun that would be!

Don't you think we've got enough spitfire kits in any scale. Most airfix 1/24th scale kits have propellers on the front time for some suckers me thinks. A 1/24 EE lightning would be something special

We really don't need another spitfire.

I disagree with that statement because we're talking entirely in 1/24 scale here, and all we really have is the venerable old Airfix kit...the first 1/24 Super Kit. Of course there is the Trumpeter kit...but I'm not even going to go there! There is room for another Spitfire kit in this scale, especially a later mark and, it would always sell...and that's the key. If that statement was meant to include 1/32 kits as well, it's not really relevant to this this thread...after all, there is an EE Lightning in 1/32 scale and plenty of other jets.

Realistically speaking, I really don't think that there are many jets that Airfix would even consider in 1/24. The Hawk may be one at a guess, and yes! An EE Lightning would be impressive. The fact is, and this is just my opinion, that most jets just don't have either the history, public recognition or iconic status that a lot of the prop jobs do. 

I suppose the Lightning is the best possible contender for a 1/24 release. It has a long service record, charisma and public recognition and a wide range of cool colour scheme options....but no combat record. It may not be too big for 1/24 scale either. A Vulcan would tick all the boxes, but might be a tad big and expensive  :)

Regards;

Steve

Edited by fightersweep

PAH!

Yer ALL wrong, come on Guys, get with the PROGRAMME! :doh:

Jennings.......24th Vulcan, maybe you can have a coffee table that big. :whistle:

We Brits will settle for a small(er) but perfectly formed Folland Gnat  :wicked:

Please............................................. :frantic:

Well, the plus point of a 1/24 Gnat would be the ability to depict a Red Arrows version on the box top, so the general public will just assume it's a Hawk and buy it anyway...bigger potential sales to justify production.

Marvelous!

Regards;
Steve

Personally, I'd like to see some 1/24 air and ground-crew figures plus a few service vehicles similar to the recent 1/48 releases but wouldn't say no to any of the following...

Defiant

Lightning

Beaufighter

Blenheim Mk.I

Spitfire Mk.XVI

Spitfire Mk.XIVe

Spitfire Mk.22/24

I live in hope...

Edited by Tony C

For me, if it's Airfix and 1/24th, then what I could really go nuts for would be:

• Gloster Gladiator
  • Avro Anson
  • Bristol Beaufighter
  • Bristol Beaufort (please, please please...)
  • DeHavilland Hornet
  • Folland Gnat (Especially with an Ajeet option)
  • BAe Hawk 
  • Sepecat Jaguar
  • Blackburn Buccaneer

For me, if it's Airfix and 1/24th, then what I could really go nuts for would be:

• Gloster Gladiator
  • Avro Anson
  • Bristol Beaufighter
  • Bristol Beaufort (please, please please...)
  • DeHavilland Hornet
  • Folland Gnat (Especially with an Ajeet option)
  • BAe Hawk 
  • Sepecat Jaguar
  • Blackburn Buccaneer

Great choice for the first five! :)

Max

I would love it to the be the Buccaneer as I am lucky enough to own XX894 - however the reality is that this would be way to big. I have the 1/24th Resin Buccaneer and it is over 2ft in length!

I do think the Hawk would be a great choice as it is not too big and has so many amazing, potential markings.

The other shot for me would be to go back and re-do the Spitfire Mk1 to the same standards as the Typhoon. The original was a classic and whilst it still is very accurate in outline and surface finish is not the easiest kit to assemble and has a number of missing details.