What's your bet on the next 1/24 th Airfix kit ?

Erwin

The last Airfix 1/24th Jet...wait....the ONLY Airfix 1/24th Jet, was the Harrier. Issued originally when? 1973? ( and upgraded to GR3 and then Sea Harrier ten or so years ago). On That basis, a Jet should really be next and a Hawk would fit that bill, and maybe being modular to allow the T1 or T2 to be issued.....of course other jets are available!!

That is IF Airfix decide to continue with their 1/24th range of course. If they do I expect a hefty gap between new issues, certainly based on the time between the Mosquito and the Typhoon...

Edited by Clarkeeboy56

At the risk of possibly repeating other guesses/wishes, a Folland  Gnat would be a reasonable size in 1/24 though it would have limited choice of marks ( Midge?).

Hunter would be nice as indeed would the Hawk (Mk1 and all it's export versions). Alpha Jet has a certain appeal, as the R.A.F./QinetiQ have a few.

I would hope that whatever Airfix/Hornby choose, it will be affordable enough to make it a success. If our hobby is to survive it has to be affordable to the next generation of modelers and appealing enough to prize them away from computer games. There is enough austerity about with this present government (however much it is needed) that the realistic pricing of Kits should be considered.

I am old enough to remember when kit prices went up and rising oil prices was to blame, now that oil prices have come down is this reflected in kit prices falling?

Sorry to rant on but it has to be said.

Now, how about that Victor in 1/24? (for sale, house, kids, pets and anything that isn't nailed down to put a deposit down on it).

I would really like to see a Bristol Fighter or EE Lightning. Sadly, I fear the former is an unknown and the latter has long since slipped away from the consciousness of the buying public.

What might be significant is 2018: RAF Centenary.

A latterday 1/24 Tiffie is not too large, offers plenty of scope for aggressive underwing ironmongery and could also be successfully marketed in Europe and further afield just like the 1:1 scale version. Austria, Britain, Germany, Italy, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Spain and maybe more in three years' time. RAF centenary schemes, Bavarian bronze Tiger etc - ticks all the boxes.

But, I challenge Airfix to get their LIDAR near one.

Tony

Actually I think Airfix should just start over. 

After some 45 years of faithful surface it is time to retire the existing Spitfire I and bring out a state of the art Mk I.  If longevity is a concern the kit could be engineered to accommodate a  Mk V and even a  Mk XII down the road.  It's nemesis , the Bf 109 needs replacement too .  Both aircraft are well documented with preserved examples available and close at hand.  Both have mass appeal and are perennial best sellers with fail-safe profits.

I know this will be greeted with scorn by many, but these machines played significant roles in world changing events that echo even to today.  They deserve much better representation in 1/24 scale, and who better than Airfix to do it...

Edited by RBrown