What's your bet on the next 1/24 th Airfix kit ?

Erwin

Whatever it turns out to be, you can bet your pension that the "very-nice-but-I-was-hoping-for-a-such-and-such" posts will quickly follow on the forums.

No kit company can ever hope to please all modellers all of the time.

- Steve

Steve, you can please all of the people, some of the time, some of the people all of the time,

but NEVER all of the people all of the time! :shrug:

What would you say of a 1/32 resin Dragon Rapide ?

Hubert

:hmmm:Methinks SOMEONE knows something! :wicked:

• 4 months later...

I realise this will rain on a few parades, but I asked this very question of the head of the Airfix research team, at Telford last year. While he was happy to tell me that they are already working on the next one, he (naturally) wouldn't say what it was, but did say that it wasn't (and wouldn't be) a Spitfire, because it was considered that there weren't enough "extras" that were hung on the airframes, to justify it in the large scale.

This tends to head me off in the direction of Sea Fury, Hunter, Buccaneer, etc., but we'll see,

Hi everyone. I'm new to LSP's and hope you don't mind me adding my two cents on this topic. Recently I've become very hooked on Airfix's new 1/72 releases and am delighted with their new 1/24 offerings, so I couldn't help but think about what they'll do next in 1/24. :innocent:

Based on Edgar's comments above, I wonder if Airfix will be creating all new tooling of the Hurricane to coincide with its 80th birthday. :popcorn: Cleverly done, the one tool could be designed to produce all the major variants: Mk1 fabric wing; Mk1 metal wing; Mk2; Sea hurricane; Hurribomber. Each variant being released over the ensuing years. This would cover the criteria of having enough 'extras' hung on the airframes to justify the large scale... :frantic:

it would be very hard to resist buying more than one variant :hmmm:

I thought a "car door" Typhoon had already been announced ?

Beyond that I don't care - 1/24 is generally too big for me, although it would be cool to see something that deserves this scale, such as a post-war Bristol Fighter, in early 'twenties silver dope livery. 1/24 might be big enough to allow for rigging without destroying what's left of my eyesight.

Tony

10 other people have probably already said this, but since they are doing a 1/48 P-40b, a 1/24 would be even better.  In light of their Typhoon kit, a 1/24 P-40b would be an automatic for me.  The only thing I might like more than an Airfix P-40b in 1/24 would be a Tamiya kit of the same in 1/32.  Those two in the respective scales would be my preference for manufacturer in this subject.  I will be buying the 1/48 kit though as the caad drawings impress me. 

I dont really much care for 24th to be bluntly honest..........not much choice, AM is almost non-existent, and then the same old reason of just plain too big.     HOWEVER....................as unlikely as either of these would be as a choice for Airfix, I would purchase my first AF LSP, as well as my 2nd ever 1/24th scale kit if AF came out with EITHER of these in 1/24th:

wd804.jpg

SEA_VIXEN_sig.jpg

I thought a "car door" Typhoon had already been announced ?

Yep, that's pretty much it. The next Airfix release in 1/24 scale will be the car door Typhoon.

I'm guessing, though, that this thread might have taken that on board, and has now evolved to speculating on what might come after that.

But just to reiterate: the next Airfix release in 1/24 scale will be the car door Typhoon.

Kev

Indeed the next 1/24 release from Airfix is the car door Tiffy... :thumbsup:

when I think of 'next kit' though, I'm not thinking about re-issues of different variants... I guess I misinterpreted the thread as what may come as the next major release :rolleyes: 

Kevin (LSP Typhoon) might be close with a 1/24 spit new tool, but I would imagine the differences between all the Marks would be very difficult to accommodate Hornby's desire to hang a lot of variants from the one air frame. IE get as many variants as possible from the one set of molds.

I read somewhere else that for a 1/24 kit to work something along the following criteria needs to met:

1. Needs to be instantly recognisable by the general public, not just seasoned modellers to sell in sufficient numbers: Hurricane, tick.

2. Needs to able to be re-released in as many different variants as possible from the one set of molds to ensure the kit is in production long enough to recoup tooling costs. Hurricane, tick.

3. Can't be so big as to limit sales based on storage. Hurricane, tick.

Just my $0.02 though.

Hornby are probably having a good chuckle right now :speak_cool: