1/32 Electric Intruder - Grumman EA-6A Conversion

allthumbs

Thanks everyone for your interest in this (long-running) project as well as your kind comments...most appreciated :) .

Work continues, in "inside-out" fashion, on the Intruder air intakes which, as it turns out, contain several interesting external features as well, like air data probes, antennae, boarding ladders, emergency canopy jettison handles and a number of servicing panels, including one for the single point refueling receptacle, located low on the starboard side.

Originally, the refueling port was concealed behind a rectangular access door, as seen in this diagram from the 1969 NATOPS manual (item 10)...
3xZirMP.jpg

By the early 1970s, the design was simplified. The hatch was removed and in its place was installed a panel with a circular opening, permanently exposing the receptacle. Here's a picture from an EA-6A walk-around by Patrick O'Donnell, Marine Corps aviator, expert modeler, and all around good guy ...
42EulbW.jpg

The EA-6B Prowler design is very similar, but not identical - the opening moved to a more accessible 7 o'clock position and reinforced with a raised flange (vs. the flush-cut opening on the Intruder models)...
VR5PiGF.jpg

Good close-up pictures of the refuel adapter itself are hard to find. However, the design is very standardized across fleet types, including civilian aircraft. So I made due with photographs and measures taken from one of our birds at work...
HdocRqa.jpg

8ydnPBg.jpg

As you can see, the diameter is slightly more than the length of a standard credit card.

Using appropriately sized brass tubing, along with some plastic bits, I fashioned my own in 1/32 scale...

8xCNh28.jpg

shFLjlS.jpg

8WRpX6Q.jpg

This photo shows the completed fueling receptacle, painted and weathered (just a bit, as I think these things are kept pretty clean), alongside the starboard air intake, into which was cut the circular opening. The saddle shaped part on the left installs from behind and will serve as as a mount for the adapter...

X1bLSGL.jpg

And speaking of saddles, it's good to be "back in the saddle" as they say. After several months of uninterrupted work on this project, progress inexplicably came to a sudden halt last autumn. I can't explain it. And I've stopped trying to analyze it. :shrug: .

For whatever reason, the motivation is back - happily, as I've got a lot of work (enjoyment :) ) ahead of me, not to mention commitments to a business partner for the conversion kit!

Thanks for tuning in. More to come soon.

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

• 4 months later...

"One step forward, two steps back."

Almost exactly one year ago, on these pages, I proudly displayed pictures of my completed EA-6A tail. Though not obvious from the photographs, there were some nagging alignment and symmetry issues with the large "football" fairing that sits prominently atop the vertical stabilizer, particularly apparent when studied from head on. While slight, the flaws nevertheless bothered me. Adding to my anxiety was the realization that there was no easy fix. My only other option was to start all over again.

And that is what I did...but not before stepping away for a while to collect my wits.

Wits collected (along with a new set of fuselage halves - an eBay seller was offering individual "parts trees" for the kit at reasonable prices), version 2.0 finally began to take shape. The "clean slate" approach allowed me to incorporate additional details too, as, during the break, I was fortunate enough to acquire some close up photographs of the Electric Intruder's tail - thanks Patrick, Steve, and Rick!

Comparing old against new, you'll be hard pressed to see any difference, at least in the accompanying photos. But examined close-up in person, with a critical eye, the distinctions are apparent. I'm very pleased with the results...not to mention relieved!

I can forge ahead now with a clean conscience ;)

SSvFR2v.jpg

cJpomze.jpg

More of the new tail...

2H9sTEv.jpg

a0OUkTp.jpg

I put to test some new techniques as well. The new documentation photos revealed some access panels and raised fairings located along the blended area that unites the vertical stab and the tail radome. Not trusting my scribe across a complex curve made of epoxy putty, I prepared a couple of appliqués.

The first was an adhesive-backed Mylar film called Monokote Trim http://www.monokote.com/trim.html . It can be cleanly cut to shape and, once applied, adheres very well to smooth surfaces. I used it for the more prominent wedge shaped fairings near the rudder.

For the rectangular panels, I used spare decal material, which offers just the right amount of relief. That's provided you avoid high quality (read thin) products like Microscale's or Cartograf's...I knew I'd find a use for those thick Hasegawa transfers!

Neither material responded well to my usual practice of depicting fastener detail with a needle and small drills. So instead, HGW's positive rivets - so called because they're slightly raised above the surface - were applied to the panels http://hgwmodels.cz/en/content/17-positive-rivets

I like this product line. A wide assortment of lines and shapes is offered in three different scales (1/72, 1/48 and 1/32). Compared to the competition, they're finer and more consistent with regard to shape and spacing (almost too fine; be careful when laying down paint over them).

And perhaps best of all, HGW rivets are devoid of any excess carrier film. However, an accompanying curse sits beside these blessings. And that lies in the application process, which is long-drawn-out...a patience tester for sure!

JEx5TgC.jpg

The raised surface detail on the aft face of the radome is .005 inch sheet plastic, cut to shape, set into position, and bonded with Tamiya Extra Thin Cement (applied sparingly). Again, HGW rivets were set in place, one-by-one, according to references.

vCVMAP1.jpg

Sy0DzPR.jpg

Patrick O'Donnell photo

UYo7zQ9.jpg

Steve Belanger photo

Notice too that the rudder has been brought up to Electric Intruder standards: the interference plate along with two static discharger mounts, the latter sprouting up on EA-6A airframes around the mid 1970s. The fairing at the base of the rudder (near the nav light socket) was reshaped to achieve a more accurate rectangular cross section at the end - out of the box, it's too rounded. Finally, the rudder leading edge upper hinge point was repositioned a few scale inches down to match references.

ISBu9TU.jpg

Thanks everybody for your indulgence and kind support. It's very much appreciated!

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

Incidentals...

The EA-6A, like its Prowler cousin, had a prominent raised dorsal fairing located amidships. It housed an ADF receiver antenna.

On his EA-6B conversion, Ben (Starfighter) cleverly adapted the similarly shaped Doppler antenna fairing found on the belly of most Intruder marks, but only on select Prowlers. As I needed to preserve this feature on my build, I went about things differently, carving out a new antenna using two pieces of sheet plastic: .080 inch stock for the main body, .015 inch card for the perimeter flange. The latter was first heated up over a stove and then "drape-formed" over the upper fuselage, creating the proper curvature. A number 87 micro twist drill was used to simulate the fasteners that ring the enclosure.

WMEuPng.jpg

ve3Hv2t.jpg

By the way, those small vents that flank the antenna are in need of some work. Due to mold parting restrictions, Trumpeter had to distort their shape somewhat. Injection molding limitations also preclude a hollowed-out effect.

Roy Sutherland to the rescue! Browsing his Barracuda Studios site, I came across this obscure offering...http://barracudacals.com/proddetail.php?prod=BR32155

8W2IIk9.jpg

RxRDKGV.jpg

Although labeled a Luftwaffe product, it's obviously meant for the Trumpeter 1/32 Intruder - note the delicate, thinly molded vents in the last photograph - they even include some spares!

I'm not sure what that other stuff is for...maybe the abandoned Grumman A-6G "Gustav" project. ;)

Seriously, the set is affordable, easily adapted, and sure to enhance the scale appearance of this big jet (or even a Messershmitt I suppose).

Bye for now,

Rich

Edited by allthumbs