Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

fozzy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi chaps

I have been entertaining family and guests for the last 3 odd weeks so haven't been at my bench!

.......but now I am back and the question is......

Am I wasting my time?

I started foiling the B17 with foil...not an easy task ...I have nearly completed one side but stopped as I'm not sure weather it looks good or not!

Looking at photos of the real B17 the fuselage skin shows that it is a bit lumpy and bumpy...and I know that photographing my model with shiny foil all over it doesn't help with the light and all that.

I value all your input you have given me over the last 2 years and so I am asking again.....Should I continue with the foiling?

Here are a few photos.......

hgf%20021_zpssmxq1lrd.jpg

hgf%20002_zpstwuhuxy4.jpg

hgf%20004_zpscgtn0omw.jpg

hgf%20013_zpspryqha6t.jpg

hgf%20008_zpsjxwgf2rf.jpg

hgf%20009_zpsiihuodi5.jpg

hgf%20006_zpstr0zxwmm.jpg

Maybe I should put another layer on?....or maybe a thicker foil??

Cheers

Fozzy

I'd say your kit looks a bit too bumpy IMHO, Martin ...

I'd go for thicker foil, but maybe I'm just alone ...

Hubert

Yeah, I hate to say it, especially with how fantastic this build is, but I agree with Hubert here. Just a bit too uneven.

Kev

Yeah, I hate to say it, especially with how fantastic this build is, but I agree with Hubert here. Just a bit too uneven.

Kev

I agree with those two unless you're going for a post mothball traveling exhibit look

Thanks to Hubert and Kev for your input!....Your both right!..I'll have a look at it and see what I can do :hmmm:

Maybe you could sand the outer surface smooth, and cover it with raised rivets (for example from Archer)?

Afternoon everyone!

Once again I would like to thank you all for all your input on the skinning of this B17G :)

Well........................

You were all correct when saying that it was a bit on the lumpy side!....so I decided to rip all the foil off and start again with some different material. A fellow modeller and good friend..suggested I use alutape that he kindly sent me some samples of last year. At first I thought that it was far too thick to use but when having a good look at it I thought that it was an ideal solution....so I thank my friend again for the suggestion :)

I have started by covering the top section but alas have run out of time as I am off to the UK tomorrow for my annual visit and won't be back until the beginning of September...and so the ole B17 will have to wait to get finished another day! :(

I have taken a few photos of top half that I have covered....which I might add was difficult as the camera shows every little imperfections!! :( ....but I cannot get it any better than this and when the rest of the airframe is covered I think it will look better.........the main thing is that I am happy with the finish....

Here's the photos.................

hgf%20041_zps3cwcxynk.jpg

hgf%20033_zpsf59hp94f.jpg

hgf%20035_zpsqdeibhq8.jpg

hgf%20040_zpsadv40vkp.jpg

hgf%20018_zpsxnymr5xz.jpg

hgf%20010_zps048tjpue.jpg

Well "Scruffy" my dog seems to approve!!...(couldn't resist it)!!

hgf%20045_zpslmddlqk8.jpg

Well there you go.

So I will be back at the beginning of September to finally finish this off.....I do hope you all have a great summer where ever you are in the world....Happy modelling

Cheers

Fozzy