Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

fozzy

Hi again

Here we go again then..........the other 50 cal!

Have to say that it was much easier this time round because of course ....I have done the other one ;)

At the same time I added the defroster hose and you can see in some of the shots that the Norden Bomb Sight and the chin turret gun sight has been put back into position.............................

f%20005_zpsgvwmv4zq.jpg

f%20006_zpspkxftijw.jpg

f%20028_zpsonbmtmgb.jpg

f%20007_zpsvypy6fud.jpg

f%20008_zpskkctrhvi.jpg

f%20031_zpsdut0xw6k.jpg

f%20033_zpsluybatmo.jpg

You will also notice that I have added a rib onto the top of the fuselage...this holds the pulley system for the front port MG.............

...............and I got to thinking hmmm.gif

The more I think of it ...the more I don't like the idea of having the top halve hinged on the side of the lower Fuselage!....I just think that it will look......well ...untidy!!....there must be another way!

......and so what I am going to do now is put a few more ribs on top of the Bombardier/Navigators station so as to house the front top plexi glass and the Nav dome....then I'll see what it looks like ...if it doesn't look right then I can always take it off....but if it looks good then I can do something similar above the cockpit .

The model seems to be evolving to something different each time I touch it!! ohmy.png .....with all the detail and time I have put into this...I think I have come too far now to go half measures.......God knows what the final display will look like!! huh.png

I will crack on with the plexi glass and dome now and will post again when that's done.

Thanks for looking in

Fozzy

Edited by fozzy

Hi Gentlemen

So the last time I posted I was talking about completely trashing the idea of the hinged top and going for a major re hash on all the top section! :o

I had to re scratch the Navigator dome and place a few more formers and stringers...but didn't have any problems and so far I am half way through and have completed the front section above the Navigator and Bombardier station.

Once I had started I felt that this was definitely the way to go! :) ...its going to look heaps better displayed this way...well that's my opinion and hopefully everyone else will think so too. :unsure:

So as usual there are quite a few photos to show you all the angles!! ;) .....................

bv%20037_zpsgsrk0fnh.jpg

bv%20038_zpsuybnp2ab.jpg

bv%20036_zpss5vrj0ji.jpg

bv%20007_zps3mlnjc7b.jpg

bv%20012_zpszzwg1ufb.jpg

Here are a few more................

bv%20014_zpskvo0lpra.jpg

bv%20022_zpss7hszzlv.jpg

bv%20026_zps4d0wbqro.jpg

bv%20029_zpsur0ydo1l.jpg

Well I hope you like the new look!!

I am about to start on the area above the cockpit now ....I have a few ideas but it wont be as easy as what I have just done...we shall see!!

I also decided to vac form another top turret bubble canopy in preparation for the re construction that will have to be done in that area................photos to follow

Cheers

Fozzy

Thanks guys for all your comments ! :)

Brian...I am going to attempt to construct the cockpit roof the same way as above the Navigator/Bombardier position....exposing formers and stringers......the hardest part will be the area around the top turret! :o ....but I'm on it!

Thanks guys for all your comments ! :)

Brian...I am going to attempt to construct the cockpit roof the same way as above the Navigator/Bombardier position....exposing formers and stringers......the hardest part will be the area around the top turret! :o ....but I'm on it!

Ah that makes sense. It seems easier to do AND see things that way VS making an actual clear roof/ceiling to the plane.

Hi Lads

This is a progress so far ! smile.png

As I said in my last post ...I have started constructing the new roof area above the cockpit...I am nowhere near finishing it but here are some photos to show how its progressing .......

In this first couple of photos you can see that I have taken the knife to the original top fuselage half and just cut out the part I thought I'd need........the window frames

oo%20002_zpsj4c69wie.jpg

oo%20001_zpsdlfoyulz.jpg

After a bit of sanding and cleaning up I dry fitted it to the cockpit area............

oo%20003_zpszrcl0cyg.jpg

oo%20004_zps5jm3fkgz.jpg

oo%20006_zps68auleyr.jpg

I then started to build the frame work for the roof section.....leaving a gap for the top turret to eventually sit

oo%20011_zpsuwqtuu8g.jpg

oo%20012_zpsikvbmg8n.jpg

n_zpsn7vffohx.jpg

So that's where I am at the moment.

Still plenty more formers and stringers to attach before I can start on the setting of the top turret.

I'll be back when I have more progress...thanks for looking in guys wink.png

Fozzy