Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

fozzy

• 2 weeks later...

Heidi Hi to all

Time for an update.

Most of the structure is now complete above the cockpit up to the upper turret position.

I have managed to kind of suspend the sky light perspex-es so that you can observe the detail in the cockpit. The front wind shield and side windows are now in position and I am almost ready to fix the upper turret.

Windshield and side windows were constructed first out of plastic and the perspex is made from food packaging ....here is a photo...

ed_zpsmxwyz7tu.jpg

Here are some shots of the window frames in place.........

oo%20009_zpsaxa5o6mu.jpg

oo%20001_zpsckomnoqn.jpg

oo%20002_zpsdugpjg27.jpg

oo%20012_zps5delvdy5.jpg

oo%20011_zpsmbxewowu.jpg

These photos show the top perspex-es .....

oo%20003_zpsd5uvenyz.jpg

oo%20015_zpsfozb7llz.jpg

oo%20004_zpsfisa4buu.jpg

oo%20014_zpsno8jdpf3.jpg

....and there's more!!!

..and finally I have temporarily placed the upper turret in place to check what it might look like!!............

oo%20020_zps4wvxuglo.jpg

oo%20021_zpspqr7lx9s.jpg

oo%20023_zpsehldlxeg.jpg

oo%20022_zpsjlqyjcib.jpg

oo%20026_zpsr8qadqjw.jpg

OMG!!....I AM GETTING CLOSE TO FINISHING !!!...... yahoo.gif

In my next post I should have the Upper Turret completed........so until then ....thanks for looking in chaps! smile.png

Fozzy

Hello to all!

"The light at the end of the tunnel" is shining very brightly now as I approach the end of this massive project I took on 2 years ago!

The last hurdle that I had to face was the suspending of the upper turret....which I am happy to report surprisingly didn't give me too much trouble...well maybe a bit!! ;)

I wasn't going to at first but in the end decided to replace the detail that was on the cockpit ceiling before I re- hashed it all...wiring it all up I found a bit difficult due to the lack of space but after swearing at it for a few hours I managed to replace it all!

Using plenty of scrap plastic to scratch build the parts....this set of photos show that the detail within the cockpit is now complete.....

oo%20001_zpssewaaxkg.jpg

oo%20014_zpsbota5o0p.jpg

oo%20011_zpsif18dyzd.jpg

oo%20008_zpsxdr3xkf4.jpg

oo%20016_zpsu76jegzn.jpg

oo%20017_zps4bqfjifx.jpg

oo%20019_zpsa2s8pcr7.jpg

Here are some internal shots of the gunners swivel plate (for want of a better word!!)

oo%20002_zpsqwp7hvlj.jpg

oo%20008_zpsxdr3xkf4.jpg

oo%20036_zpsbxdg9dyb.jpg

oo%20037_zps3qtynimd.jpg

oo%20013_zpstbgqizry.jpg

Now that the rear is complete I am going forward again to attach the front nose perspex and scratch build all the MG barrels (6 of them) and fix in place.

...but first I'm off on a little break tomorrow and driving to Istanbul for a few days and so the next post will be a little while coming !.............but I'll be back!

Only a few more posts to go and that's it!! smile.png

Cheers as always for looking in guys

Fozzy

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there

So here we have the very close to the finishing post ......post!! ;)

I have some photos of the nose glass in place....not an easy task but managed to get it in position using a dab of super glue and filling the join with wood glue!

For those of you that didn't see the post I did on forming the nose glass...suffice to say that I made a plug of the shape of the nose glass out of Balsa wood and then vac formed it using an old piece of packaging for a computer mouse I had lying about...and added detail with strips of clear plastic....

So here are some photos of the glass in place..............

oo%20007_zps2qk8rnn7.jpg

kj%20010_zpsanc5fb56.jpg

kj%20025_zpsganfyjyl.jpg

kj%20016_zpszpgvhkpv.jpg

kj%20022_zpsbhozqheo.jpg

kj%20008_zpsrbqxqws5.jpg

kj%20021_zpsgwnqluvm.jpg

kj%20020_zpszjqvska3.jpg

oo%20017_zpsk72m20r1.jpg

kj%20026_zpsrby4d1tl.jpg

Yes I know its photo heavy!!....but you should know me by now!! wink.png

I have a few photos of the upper turret gun barrels I made coming up ...see below!

I made 6 gun barrels....I used sprue from old kits and drilled the cooling jackets with a micro drill....I'm quite happy how they have turned out.............

oo%20004_zpseqqjyz1e.jpg

oo%20002_zps746evj2v.jpg

oo%20023_zpsvogntxyt.jpg

oo%20025_zpssplf1lbi.jpg

Okay chaps....All that's left to do on this project now is to paint...or cover with tin foil (if the wife has got any in the kitchen smile.png )....depending on what looks the best....I'll start to foil it from the top and see......and then all the remaining gun barrels will have to be attached and painted ............now what else is there......oh yes make a crew hatch door for the Navigator and Bombardier...and then finally choose the nose art ....preferably one that I can hand paint!! unsure.png

I will probably post again when the foil or paint has been applied.......until then ...thanks for looking in smile.png

fozzy