Dewoitine D.500 [1:32 Dora Wings]

This is a placeholder for now - I've got other things to finish first, but since the GB runs through December I should have plenty of time.  I've had this kit of an attractive silvery French aeroplane in the stash for a while, so it's time it got built.

posEtgWPj

On 4/4/2024 at 4:32 AM, geedubelyer said:

What an elegant aeroplane Alex. Great choice. 

Will you build her in that scheme from the boxart illustration?

Not sure.  Ideally I’d like to paint as many of the markings as possible, so that would suggest something simpler than that rooster roundel on the side.  But we’ll see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's not immediately apparent from the instructions, but this kit provides two options to build the instrument panels.  You can either build them up from (many) individual pieces of PE and then sandwich the dial face decals between the PE faces and a smooth plastic backing, OR, just apply the decals over plastic pieces that already have the instrument bezel details etc molded in. 

pnZ4N5mHj

Given that there will be other time-consuming construction aspects to this build, I'm going to press the easy (er) button and go with the molded plastic bits.

pnjx32woj 

Somehow a bunch of meetings got canceled today, and it's too darn hot to go outside for long, so I spent quite a bit of time on this model.  This is a classic short run kit, so many of the parts need some refinement, like the pilot's seat, which I've sanded extensively to thin it down and smooth it.

pnDGAp1yj

Probably still needs a bit more work.

That's a LOT of sprue gates to clean up:

poI4QtoQj

The basic cockpit structure actually fits very nicely into the fuselage.

poNNfEAxj

I taped the cockpit assembly in place while the glue joints between the floor and the front and back walls set up to ensure it kept just the right shape.

pm6yUuVRj

The fuselage halves fit pretty nicely - no major warpage or inconsistency of shape.

pnxIEH0Dj

The rudder is made from two halves of unequal size, presumably to allow the trailing edge to be nice and thin

pmx2dd6Fj

Note the very fine surface detail, which is characteristic of the whole kit.

The way the rudder is done leads to this obnoxious seam down the side which will require plenty of work to fill and smooth, then restore the rivet detail.

pm5MNNcij

I wish they had done the rudder in the conventional way (even halves), the way the horizontal stabilizers are made.  Those are easy to clamp up with these little copper electronics clips that I have.

polpr5Lyj

The kit would have you construct the louvers that sit in front of the radiator cores from these pieces of PE, which have almost invisibly small tabs and slots on them.

pmZU2N23j

I fooled around with them for a while, thought about trying to build an assembly jig to allow them to be glued together in some semblance of the right orientation, and then decided that it would be easier to just make the louvers out of plastic card.

pn0Ru8fwj

pn8Z0vCjj

Not as scale-thin as PE would be, but it also didn't take three days.  I think they'll probably look fine once painted up.

Now the next challenge is this:

pmxIctoLj

These exhaust stubs are clearly unacceptable as-is, and the combination of their small size and oval profile means that I'm not bullish on my ability to drill them out and have it look decent.  Instead, I've got this 1.7mm brass tubing that I can slightly ovalize and use to replace them.

I don't know about anyone else, but the pics are just not coming up.  I reported a similar issue to Kevin yesterday, and he thought it might be the imageshack server pitching a fit.

24 minutes ago, Mark_C said:

I don't know about anyone else, but the pics are just not coming up.  I reported a similar issue to Kevin yesterday, and he thought it might be the imageshack server pitching a fit.

Well, I know it doesn't help, but I can see them all fine! Are you behind a firewall or corporate network of any kind?

Kev

55 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Well, I know it doesn't help, but I can see them all fine! Are you behind a firewall or corporate network of any kind?

Kev

No, I've had the same issue on both my work and home PCs, with two separate networks.  It's really odd.  As you may recall when we chatted yesterday, the problem fixed itself after a while.  I wouldn't think that was a settings issue.

Edited by Mark_C

On 6/20/2024 at 5:28 PM, Alex said:

The rudder is made from two halves of unequal size, presumably to allow the trailing edge to be nice and thin

pmx2dd6Fj

Note the very fine surface detail, which is characteristic of the whole kit.

The way the rudder is done leads to this obnoxious seam down the side which will require plenty of work to fill and smooth, then restore the rivet detail.

pm5MNNcij

I wish they had done the rudder in the conventional way (even halves), the way the horizontal stabilizers are made.  Those are easy to clamp up with these little copper electronics clips that I have.

Just a thought, FWIW.  I have succesfully filled those gaps with putty (like the old Squadron Green and White), but instead of sanding it down, just dipped a Q-tip or other earbud in acetone and gently stroke the putty before it's completely dry.  It should just come off and leave a neat, smooth surface so you won't have to worry about losing detail.  Of course, you will likely have to mask the little rivet holes already there. 

It might be worthwhile to try.

HTH