The Aircraft we would HAVE to Scratch Build Right Now

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

Quite a few of the aircraft mentioned are available from Tigger or the Combat range (although the latter is no longer producing) vacs. I have a F-111, Catalina and Sea Vixen in 1/32 and all are an excellent basis for a good model - at least the basic vac shapes a good starting point and negate the need for a total scratch build. 

I have Tigger’s Tigercat are can recommend it. 

19 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Hi Tony,

I think Tigger did a 1/32 Su15…

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks Paul. I bought two but suspended efforts until I have the energy to design a big etch sheet for the interior (cockpit, seat, wheel wells) and the courage and determination to build two sets of brand new wings, balalaika and cranked extended for a conical-radomed Su-15 sans suffixe and an ogival-radomed Su-15TM. 

It was too ambitious. 

The big problem is that there is nothing out there to help. I am still hoping Trumpeter might make a 1:32 Su-7 or Su-9, which would help significantly with a cockpit for tweaking, tailplane and landing gear, but alas nada so far.

Realistically, if I scratchbuild anything at this stage it's got to based on a card model, with an Su-9/11 Fishpot as a starter. Somebody suggested it was a good place to start as it's basically a flying tube with delta wings. A bit more complex than that, but not terribly so.

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
clarity

2 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Quite a few of the aircraft mentioned are available from Tigger or the Combat range (although the latter is no longer producing) vacs. I have a F-111, Catalina and Sea Vixen in 1/32 and all are an excellent basis for a good model - at least the basic vac shapes a good starting point and negate the need for a total scratch build. 

Thanks Tom,

Though I tend not to be interested in jets very much, I am interested in all things DeHavilland so the Sea Vixen appeals. I’ve not attempted a vacform (yet) but your builds give me the insight that they are not as intimidating as they first appear. At the moment I am mulling over the idea of doing a Ju 52 as it appears to be the only way of getting one in 1/32 (at least for now). 

Kind regards,

Paul

7 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

The mauler is one big son of a gun! 1/3 bigger than a Skyraider, with an R4360 under the hood! It wasn't a very successful design but ,man it is impressive. I want to say they built about 150 or so.

Carried quite a whopping load too. I saw one at a museum on the coast of Oregon. Man that thing was yoooooj !!!

Don't know where it went but it's not there now.

aKadPHZ.jpg

1 minute ago, MikeMaben said:

Carried quite a whopping load too. I saw one at a museum on the coast of Oregon. Man that thing was yoooooj !!!

aKadPHZ.jpg

Was that the one at Tillamook? I wonder where it went? I hope no one got the hairbrained scheme to try to get it to fly. Yeah, It's a big one alright, could carry a load of whoopa$$, and if all else failed they could've dropped the plane on 'em.

27 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

aKadPHZ.jpg

22 minutes ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Was that the one at Tillamook? I wonder where it went? I hope no one got the hairbrained scheme to try to get it to fly. Yeah, It's a big one alright, could carry a load of whoopa$$, and if all else failed they could've dropped the plane on 'em.

It is worth going there to see the museum itself, too! Man, that is one big hanger!!!

6 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

It is worth going there to see the museum itself, too! Man, that is one big hanger!!!

Oh for sure it is . IIRC the hangar in Akron, Ohio is even bigger! That's where they built the Akron and Macon. You see it from a distance and it looks like a big hillside.